'79 front brake caliper spacing

jdreich

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Installed a new brake caliper (right side) on my '79 xs650. It did not have a brake when I purchased.
I have followed the schematic in terms of setting up the front wheel, spacers on axle, etc. however am running into a problem with the rotor rubbing on the fork side of the caliper. I cannot get the caliper to move over enough to allow for the rotor to spin without rubbing on the fork side of the caliper and pads.
Any suggestions on how to make the spacing correct or any suggestions on getting the wheel aligned properly to move the rotor over and further away from the right side fork ( sitting on bike)
Thank you
JD

We would like to see a few pics. It might help us figure out what's up with your set up. Side, front, and top views would be nice, at least one shot that shows the whole rotor.

Thanks; please let me know if you need any other pictures
JD

image12_zps40bb1ebe.jpg

photo1_zpsf1dd9c25.jpg

image9_zpsc8ef1b23.jpg

image10_zps26d9dd93.jpg

image8_zpsb61a5f33.jpg

image_zps409a5387.jpg

Nope , no other pics needed. You have an old style disc mounted and are trying to use it with a new style caliper. You can't do that. You need the new style disc as well. The offset differs between the old and new style discs, that's why things aren't lining up for you.

Thank you very much!

Is the bolt spacing the same on the new style discs so that I can simply replace?

Yes, they just swap. Look for one like this .....

OldDisc.jpg

..... and you're not limited to a 650 disc. Yamaha used discs with this same diameter and offset on other models as well. Many get newer ones that were slotted from the factory. I think those came from the 1100. You can also use a thinner 5mm thick disc to save a little weight. Those can be had from an SR500 and maybe some of the 550 fours.

Cheers!

Again, thank you very much for pointing that out and the suggestions.

Greatly appreciated.

Have a good one!
JD

Back