'79 Special completely detonated at 85mph yesterday

Save it, guys. Opie doesn't hear it, he isn't going to hear it, and he has every right in the world to do it his way and suffer the consequences. I'm a slow learner, but I've figured out that it's a waste of time to give advice where it won't be taken.

RULES:
  1. No Religion
  2. No Politics
Guidelines:

7. If a thread turns into a bitch fight or name calling and character bashing, it will be deleted or edited (cleaned up). This site is not the place for grade-school drama.

I totally agree WER. I had been giving Phaedrus some straight facts, when in Post # 33, he posted some tasteless mockery .
Then WER, in Post # 34 you encouraged and condoned Phaedrus by laughing at his grade school comments. By going along with his antics, you are guilty of the same offence.................see guideline #7 you posted.

What i also see is someone who isn't going to listen because he already knows.
Who me? I do nothing but listen and research and study this thing. I'm obsessed with my garage time, probably to a fault with regards to my fiancée....

What in those pics showed you a non-top-end oil leak that would wet the carbs? Other than its dry and wrecked, of course.

Save it, guys. Opie doesn't hear it, he isn't going to hear it, and he has every right in the world to do it his way and suffer the consequences. I'm a slow learner, but I've figured out that it's a waste of time to give advice where it won't be taken.
Not sure what it is I'm not hearing.... Many of your posts have helped me immensely over the past year and change that I've owned this thing. Thanks!

I'm afraid that if you "tune" your new motor with the diligence and care you applied to the old one, you're going to end up with a second pile of scrap metal before too long, lol.

Nah, it had the knock when I bought it. The PO was a bit of a crazy. He had the motor opened up and replaced just 1 (one) piston, and with a used part! It was always janky. I did just about everything one can do to the thing except rebuild the engine, and was considering getting a new engine for that too. I was waiting for the money to buy the JE pistons and get in there and replace everything to revive it or just start fresh.

In any case, this is a "dang look at THIS" post, not a "gee-willikers I can't figure out what's wrong" post.

Up next will be a potential re-phase

Quote, " the specific failure cause seems to be an oil leak developed in my top end"
Wow....................you're a real dreamer. So, now your story is, "the engine must have developed an oil leak, and that's why the engine blew up, its not my fault. So what if the engine had
:guns::smoke:

Never said it wasn't my fault. Never said the knock was normal. Never asked to figure anything out about it. Came here with my first ever post looking for some community spirit and to share a wild story. Your high-horse, pedantic chastising is unwelcome and unhelpful. The rest of the community is usually welcoming and helpful.

Were you running regular 87 octane gasoline? I can't count how many old air-cooled bike engines have blown holes due to low octane. I will say that your engine is very damaged so...

Tom

92 octane. From a combustion standpoint this engine has had every thing wrong with it since long before I got it. Who knows how old those ping marks are. On to the new engine starting with a ground up cleaning and assembly! I'm very fortunate to have found a way to trade for the parts and shared labor in a real shop to get this done. I never got the money to fix up the bum engine, but life timing put a better way right in my lap.

92 octane. From a combustion standpoint this engine has had every thing wrong with it since long before I got it. Who knows how old those ping marks are. On to the new engine starting with a ground up cleaning and assembly! I'm very fortunate to have found a way to trade for the parts and shared labor in a real shop to get this done. I never got the money to fix up the bum engine, but life timing put a better way right in my lap.
DAAAAAMMMMMNNNNN you Phaedrus! DAMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNN you! Your ability to swap for parts and labor will haunt you! I NEVER get to do that and it's not fair... I always have to fix my own and the only 'swapping' I get is swapping money for parts! GRRRRRRRRR....!!!!

ouch thats a damn shame..... right before the DGR ride as well .

Iwas hoping to make the London DGR ride this year but got shingles last week .

Last I looked DaddyGCycles had a couple of engines going cheap and loads of engine parts. Might be worth pinging him
http://www.xs650.com/threads/spares-dont-need.47102/

The loud knock meant the PO tortured the engine.....................maybe ran it with low oil in sump, or maybe allowed the oil filters to plug up. In other words the PO did not do any maintenance, heard the knocking and sold it to you. You recognized there was knocking, but continued to ride until it blew up. Congrats..............both you and the PO have failed the "Basic Engine Maintenance Course".

This is why I HATE the internet. This guy has a blown engine, is obviously upset, and all you can do it point fingers and get up on your high horse. Ive learned ppl who have a tendency to do what you just did are NOT happy in their own lives, and seek to spread misery. gross

XS parts for IT work, cool! Would like to see some poop on the new engine build up!

DAAAAAMMMMMNNNNN you Phaedrus! DAMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNN you! Your ability to swap for parts and labor will haunt you! I NEVER get to do that and it's not fair... I always have to fix my own and the only 'swapping' I get is swapping money for parts! GRRRRRRRRR....!!!!
Ha- don't worry it cuts both ways. Every party I ever go to sounds like: " Hey man, glad you could make it! Here's a beer....now if I could just get you to look at this computer in my basement that my kid thrashed and make it work fast again and renew MS Office for free and print to a dishwasher and recover my burnt hard drive of vacation photos and levitate some isht while we party upstairs that'd be greeeaatt mmmkayyy?"

This is why I HATE the internet. This guy has a blown engine, is obviously upset, and all you can do it point fingers and get up on your high horse. Ive learned ppl who have a tendency to do what you just did are NOT happy in their own lives, and seek to spread misery. gross
Thanks for the support. If I had done things perfectly and been able to afford all that perfection, well I just wouldn't be me anymore.

Back