'79 Special II startup after 23 years

hogtyed

Paul
Reaction score
I've gone through the carbs, cleaned and red-Koted the tank. I have new rubber mounts and hoses coming for the the carb mounting. I have a new master cylinder also on it's way. The rear brakes will also be checked this week. I'm going with gravity petcocks, rather than the original vacuum.

Before I start it up in the next week or so, I'd like to know the best route to pre-lube the engine and get the valves going on the upper end. I read the following thread: http://www.xs650.com/threads/barn-find-4k-original-miles-with-a-backfire-and-ticking.45903/ which had a bent exhaust valve. I'd like to avoid that. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 70
interesting question !....

Basically all you need to do in theory is to turn the engine over so that the oil pump is operating to push the oil around.
I guess you could stick it in 2nd or 3rd gear and tow it down the road so that the oil pump pumps oil around the engine.

If you leave one of the valve covers off when starting you'll see pretty immediately if the top end is receiving oil or not.

Has this engine literally not run for 23 years ? you really don't tell us much about what you've done

I would remove all four valve covers and slowly turn the motor over by hand, watching the valves open and close as I did so. If the motor suddenly locks, a valve may be stuck open and contacting a piston. You can usually lever it shut again with a screwdriver stuck into the spring. You may have to do that several times as you're turning the motor over to free it up. If it won't free up, it may be bent already.

good idea 5T :thumbsup: it also wouldn't hurt to squirt some thin oil like gun oil, in on the rockers ,cams and valves . It will penetrate better than engine oil and provide some initial lubrication and protection

Back