79 xs 650

stemy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have A 79 xs 650 i got i got last summer, i just got it running but needs a little work. i would like to keep it looking orginial but like to dome some custom stuff to it too. any ideas?:confused:

There's much you can do to your bike to make it run better, ride better, handle better, charge better, etc., etc. - and all without taking a Sawzsall to it. If you really do have a '79 Standard, that's a rare and sought after model. Hacking it up would be akin to killing kittens. Find a clapped out Special to get your jollies on.

There's much you can do to your bike to make it run better, ride better, handle better, charge better, etc., etc. - and all without taking a Sawzsall to it. If you really do have a '79 Standard, that's a rare and sought after model. Hacking it up would be akin to killing kittens. Find a clapped out Special to get your jollies on.

About as rare as the drum brake mag rear, or more so.......nice looking bike there. I'd do the upgrades as mentioned and hold off on the hacking- though some do like to kill kittens......

Upgrade the easy stuff like the voltage regulator and rectifier. Other than that I'd change nothing. Shine up what you have and over time find the correct OEM parts to substitute for what is lacking. Keep all the original stuff. I spent months finding the correct paint for my bike, ended up getting the paint code from Europe, before having my bike repainted. If you do hack the bike I'd be interested in a few rare pieces like your side cover emblems. You have an excellent start there, it takes time, effort and suprisingly little money.

About as rare as the drum brake mag rear, or more so.......nice looking bike there. I'd do the upgrades as mentioned and hold off on the hacking- though some do like to kill kittens......
I see way more mag drum wheels for sale than "F" models.
Thought I'd found one yesterday, but it was a 79 SF : (

If you do get the urge to do away with the tank or tins put me inline after
Kingwj.

Just saying what you got may be more than you think.........
it's not just an old yammerhammer.

needs cleaned up, tuned up, lights to work and the seat is tore a little bit. i just want to get it to run so i can ride, as far as chopping it up i'm not sure, think maybe just restoring it and enjoying the bike like that, i do think it would be nice to have an old bobber but just don't want to ruin a good bike.

needs cleaned up, tuned up, lights to work and the seat is tore a little bit. i just want to get it to run so i can ride, as far as chopping it up i'm not sure, think maybe just restoring it and enjoying the bike like that, i do think it would be nice to have an old bobber but just don't want to ruin a good bike.

I think you have a plan right there. Do the basics then ride for a while. Surf for some ideas and maybe next winter make some changes. Or make it cherry stock and buy another "project". :wink2: Projects and planning can be addictive.

Part of your signal light problem is the fact the back ones are missing?
The circuitry requires both front and back with working bulbs to blink correctly.
Start watching the classifieds for the correct bracketing. They do come up occasionally.

i have the back ones on it. i got the signal problem fix, the battery wasnt fully charged, but still no headlight.

Back