'79 XS - Gravel Tracker

drewfunk

Purveyor of fine flannels
Reaction score
Well i finally got my hands on my first XS650, and its a blast! My plans are to make it into sort of a budget tracker, something i can buzz through town on and drift down logging roads and trails. Its got 8k on it but looks like it has seen better days. Hadnt been run in a long time but i threw some gas in it, new plugs and a battery, and it fired second kick! It has good compression but smokes like crazy, might just be due to sitting for so long, but i think its a leaky gasket or valve seals. Also, the ignition and right blinker are the only electronic items that seem to work as of now. Time to bust out a wiring diagram!

Here's how i picked it up.
oNo7L.jpg

First ride
hxxOk.jpg

In the shop
pGELm.jpg

Cutting up a seat pan
LqQBn.jpg

I'm ordering a bunch of maintenance parts from MikesXS to get the engine in better shape. Right now i am building a seat from scratch and a license plate/taillight mount, side covers, and stripping/cleaning the engine and such. Going to upgrade the suspension to handle hitting the dirt and getting a little air time, and going to keep it as stripped down as possible. Super excited about this project, i'm in love with the thumping twin.

Back