79 xs650 special

newby79

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got the bike on trade for some work told it ran when i hooked new battery up i blew main fuse pulled rectifier and it does not blow but the only sign the bike is alive is the brake light comes on where do i start please help i really like this bike

I'll bet your rotor is bad. Check the ohms, should be 5ohms??

It will run without the alternator connected and a fully charged battery.

why is it my understanding this bike has no alternator? thought generator, regulator ,rectifies,

Its an alternator, not a generator. Generator produce DC voltage. No rectifiers needed. Our beloved XSs have an alternator that produces AC voltage, thus needing the rectifier to change the AC to DC then regulated to 14.5VDC.

Yes, it should still get spark barring the unforseen short, open curcuit, bad connection or burned points or any other unfortunate situation.

the only sign i have of life on the bike is when i turn ignition on the brake light works at this point i just want to hear this run where is my best place to start. i assuming battery, to ignition..... dont know or care i she charges yet!

My '60 BMW had a generator. '69 and earlier Harley Davidsons had generators. Lots of pre '70 British bikes had em. You get the idea. When you have to "flash" your new armature after installing to polarize it, you have a generator.

Fuse blocks are notorious ignition switches go to hell start at the battery and work your way towards the coils. Get a simple tester and electrical diagram.

Yay!!! She fired up back ran real crappy and backfired all to hell could be bad gas now ????

See above. Duh....
Also check the advance mechanism. It can cause backfiring if it's sticky. Use the search function for threads on how to check it.
I am guessing you have already: cleaned and set the points.
Checked timing, did the electrical trouble shooting.
Dumped the old crap out of the gas tank, cleaned it
replaced the fuel lines
ordered the parts for the carb overhaul?

Back