'81-'83 Kicker Upgrade

5twins

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
In '81, Yamaha cheapened up the kicker assembly, made the whole thing lighter and more spindly. The worst aspect of this was a smaller "foot". Obviously, this is what came on my '83 and I found it not as easy to use as the larger, older style on my '78. So, I decided to "upgrade" it. The earlier older kickers had a straight arm but around '79 Yamaha added a slight bend to it so it tucked in nicer. This is what I was after so off to eBay I went, lol. I found a nice '79 kick arm for about $20. It was the arm only but that was OK because I had a splined clamp part from a junky '77 kicker that came on a parts motor. The '77 arm was pretty badly rusted and also the earlier straight style I didn't want .....

r0FuNhj.jpg

b2ukyp3.jpg

So, all the parts were cleaned up and the '79 arm was drilled and tapped for a grease fitting .....

tg99kMK.jpg

uPLpwpK.jpg

Dt5Ajmm.jpg

Then the parts were greased up and assembled. As an aside, I discovered that the detent ball is the same 5/16" ball used with the clutch pushrods .....

0EvX36S.jpg

LgrvxyQ.jpg

And here's the original '83 kicker compared to the earlier "big foot" version. Not only is the foot bigger but so is everything else - arm diameter, splined clamp, and although difficult to see, splined clamp pivot post for the arm .....

nyEHYLz.jpg

ikvfmHc.jpg

I'm quite happy with the results. I can really put my foot into this thing now, much better than before, lol.

mIulrAK.jpg

fTOn11j.jpg

Agree with the later, slimmer kicker having just a little, but noticeable less kick power!
20210308_212007.jpg

I did put the newer nicer appearing kicker on the 79 which gets kick started too. Yes, I thought it was me getting a weaker leg..
The middle kicker in the pic above is off of an XS750 Special and now that does visually fit nice on the 78E now. It pivots away real nice too. Looking forward to kicking that someday.
20210320_135658.jpg

Attachments

• 20210320_135733.jpg
    20210320_135733.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 78
No, not the exact same part but it has the smaller "foot". Look at the fist link I posted for the kick rubbers.

Gotcha, yes.
Well if that 79 continues to want 3 kicks when warm, I just might put that huge original club kicker back on there too.
Have a little mixture screw tuning to do next apparently. Hope that's all.
:)

Back