81 ignition

My personal suggestion would be that if you have all of the components and it is working use it. If not I would look at the Pamco as it has served me really well and was very easy to install the kit from Mikes. If you do get a Pamco make sure to get the complete kit with advance rod and Advance mech.

When they work they are a very good ignition. I would rubber mount it so the vibration doesn't shake it apart. The box is old, age wise but the crank fired system hard to beat. Hard to tell how long it will last.

Does the Pamco have a big ignitor box also? That black box is kinda big . Haha, but the bike ran perfect before I tore it down

Posted via Mobile

One of the things Pete promotes about his product is the fact you can do away with the TCI box.
If you are going with the stock ing. you may consider resoldering the connections in the box. High speed missing, failure to advance, hiccups, burps and backfires all have been attributed to the poor solder joints on the OEM box. Several very good threads on this but no one covers it all thread.

If the box was functioning then it probably still will. But the old solder joints are a known problem. Kinda like going ahead and replacing the glass tube fuses with blades. The old works, but how long?

Does the Pamco have a big ignitor box also?
Posted via Mobile

the pamco has no box at all, its all behind the points cover. Only drama is having to install a advance unit, and probably a new coil. cheers

Posted via Mobile

My TCI is still serving me well. A year or two ago it would cause the bike to shut off now and then, which I fixed by resoldering all the connections, which should take no more than 15 min. Have not had any trouble with it since. Then I bought a spare TCI on ebay for around $30-40. Between the two of them I figure I'm set for life. Cheaper and less work than installing a Pamco and having an emergency spare to boot. And some would say it's a better ignition, due to self-protection circuits and an advance curve that's better than weights.

I guess I'll try and work the stock box into my build and go from there. I appreciate all your input. I love this place!

Posted via Mobile

Back