81 xs 650 non running for 13 years

half wit

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I bought a non running xs 650 last week after first one was stolen. Replaced coil, temporary re wire. Cleaned carbs, pilot was clogged completely. Now fires on second kick. Backback fires once throttle is revved and returned to idle position. On the venturi their are 4 holes/jets? Cluster of 3 and single one closer to intake. On one of the single holes/jets it looks like a piece of brass is lodged in hole, other side is open. Any suggestions? Nate.

So the piece of brass was mix screw. Brass plugs were still intact from factory. Drilled out caps, backed off screws to 3 turns. Starts on one kick.

That one side had to be pretty closed up for the point of the screw to be sticking out the hole. You usually only see that when it's pretty much screwed all the way in.

The side that was sticking through was only about 1/8 from fully closed. Other side about 1 3/4 open. I assume these were that way from factory since I had to drill caps out. Should I replace the cap with something?

I like to put some silicone grease on the threads of the jet before it goes in, water sitting in the hole can make for a real problem later. Should come up with a rubber plug, but haven't yet.

Back