81 XS650 Cafe "low rider" in Denver Co

mikbeanz

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

New to this sight and new to the xs650. I'm excited to see to many people who are passionate about this motorcycle, and you guys have already helped me and my project a few times since I've been cruising around the forum.

If anyone is from Denver, let me know if there are any meet-ups or group rides.:bike:

enough with the formalities...here's my bike.

IMG_3727_zpsvhdoyllu.jpg

IMG_3729_zpsud76i8b7.jpg

IMG_3730_zpsl2ixdikk.jpg

Previous owner dropped the front and back 3'' so it sits reeeeaally low. Aside from new oil, oil filter, sump filter, spark plugs, speedo, manual petcock, Uni pod filter, and new rubber carb holders I haven't done much to the bike. But I have big plans for it! first thing would be a new charging/ignition system :)

Thanks for all knowledge everyone, and im sure ill be asking questions soon.

Here's a pic of my last 2 bikes just for yucks :D

88A-534EAF88B850-2461-000002B080AB271A_zps9abda8b8.jpg

Photo7.jpg

Sweet looking bike you got there. Are the rear and front wheels 18" and 19" or is it 16" and 19" can't see, but guess it's rear 16" as lowering 3" is a lot with 18" on the back.

Nice ride all in black..

There's not much fork travel, so it feels pretty rigid. Any bump or small pothole in the road really takes a toll on the bike...or at least it feels like it. Is having it this low ok for the bike? Also the kickstand drags if I lean too far too far on that side. I just purchased the kickstand from TC Bros weld on kickstand to see if it would work better. Has anyone tried it yet?

Last edited:
dang that sits low... I would reckon it's too low. Your suspension should be allowed to cycle and work properly, otherwise it's dangerous. A rigid rear is dangerous enough, but usually totally manageable. A rigid front?? That's just asking for trouble! I would take the forks apart, throw some longer lowering parts in, correct length springs and make sure they're properly located in the triples. Maybe look into the Minton mods.

How long are the rear shocks? Maybe some taller tires too to help with ground clearance and lean angles?? I'd research all this before installing a new kickstand. Otherwise it's a good looking bike.

The rear shocks came off of a rebel 250 is what I'm told. Looks like I'll be looking into raising the bike back up an inch or two.The low ride height does feel good though..too bad the suspension doesn't agree with it :(...maybe I'll just raise the front a tad.

Last edited:
I,m in to hotrods as well and all of my cars are low. I love the look of a low car or bike, but with my cars you might scrape the pavement but with your bike I think its going to be your body scraping the pavement. I really dig the look but I think I would raise it a bit. Just my two cents.

Glad to see someone else has taken on the low rider cafe look. :)

Off to powder next week. Then tank/fender paint.

Attachments

• Xs650 - 10_09_2015.JPG
    Xs650 - 10_09_2015.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 211
Not a fan of the bike, not to my taste but I love your dog good old English Bull Terrier, I have had two of and both were clowns.

Back