81 XS650 running but have issues

Good deal. Not knowing if the Li was gonna cook itself would suck all the fun outta riding. The AGM is much more tolerant. Fine tune it and go out and enjoy it.

Quick question. When i mount up the battery voltage gauge, I’m just wiring it directly to the battery right and just watching it to see if it’s dropping real low and going up? From what i thought i gathered info wise was that the discharge and recharge kills the batteries. Just want to make sure I’m on the same page

When you turn the key on, you want to see about 12.5v.
After it's started at idle you want to see the same or slightly higher.
As you rev the engine, the voltage should increase.
Once voltage reaches about 14.5v.... it shouldn't increase past that no matter how high you rev the engine.

Anything lower than 11.5...12v is a concern because the battery is discharging.
Anything higher than about 14.5 is a concern because you're overcharging.

Ran it with the small 12v Duracell. Mounted under the seat no problem. After my ride checked my rec/reg wasn’t hot, either was the battery just slightly warm i would think normal. Battery before ride was 12.2 after ride was 13.4

Going to keep riding it this way, putting on that battery gauge when it gets here tomorrow so i can monitor and see how it goes. I need to just sync the carbs better and mess with fine tuning my mixture screws next

Usually don't like this type machine See through ..but it comes out nice .Maybe Calendar material or a picture of the Pile of ashes after i caught fire and Ceased to be ( Just joking )

Quick question. When i mount up the battery voltage gauge, I’m just wiring it directly to the battery right and just watching it to see if it’s dropping real low and going up? From what i thought i gathered info wise was that the discharge and recharge kills the batteries. Just want to make sure I’m on the same page
Personally I hook up a voltmeter to the coils positive terminal because it's that voltage that keeps things ticking over.

I mounted a cheap volt meter on my upper tree with velcro tape. $10 delivered ebay/amazon. It monitors voltage on the brown (ignition on Hot) in the headkight shell. This tells me what the system is seeing. That is one way of saying I didn't feel like running more wires to the battery😎. I see 11.9 with ignition on and 13.9 running.
1657662951877899250407214069660.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so rode it a couple times. Battery voltage shows about 13 turning on meter. Then after ignition turned on about 12.6. Then while running with decent throttle up to 14.2-14.5. Then at a stop with lights on idle if it will drop back to around 13ish. Does this all sound about right for where it should be?
Yep. Those are good numbers.

So just took it for a short ride. Started good was running great then all of the sudden it’s like the timing just started changing. Limped it home and too off my two cam end covers. I seen the little pin that keeps that rod lined up for center was just sitting there. I was worried about those pins from the beginning not fitting tight enough, i even red locktited them
In. So I’m assuming that was my issue with getting this thing timed and it changing so much right? What a better fix for the pin so it stays? I also noticed a little oil dripping from the bottom of the right side cover, looks like maybe even from the oil filter area and around the bottom of the cylinder (See pics)
Was the timing issues the pin that had fallen out? Did the Bike run correctly after that?

Yeah that helped my timing issue for sure because once it came out there wasn’t anything to lock the rod to the cam anymore and would change timing like crazy. In the end though besides that, may have been a part also from the beginning, it was all from that capacitor i was using (no battery kick only). Once i switched it out with a small Duracell 12v AGM battery it solved everything because my electrical system was getting what it needed finally.

Back