TCI Replacement 2020 It Works

Jan

I moved this over to the Gonzo thread because I didn't want to distract from getting the answer for your bike.

I have some stuff I want to discuss here Gonzo coils and wiring.
OK but it is drawn like that in the instructions
White goes to the coil base and then to Earth
Perhaps not any difference. .But as the saying goes " Follow the manual it is surprisingly often correct "
When I get new plug caps ill test it.
1655404853599.png

Yeah! So, suck it up buttercup!

104 yesterday with an occasional rain shower to make it nice and juicy.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/81-xs650-running-but-have-issues.61511/page-11#post-750951
Discussion on this thread on charging li batteries on a PMA.

My thought is to run the pma through a pma regulator into a cap.

power this from the cap to charge the li battery. Run just the pamco, Gonzo or whatever ignition that suits your fancy and the coils from the li battery.

There you go . A well regulated militia

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Cont...locphy=9027986&hvtargid=pla-613182190031&th=1

Perfect. Should work . Power all the loads except the ignition from the + side of cap.

Should provide steady power to the ignition system and isolate the ignition from the variations of the PMA.

I think a small SLA ( what we call feeder batteries here in Texas) would be better. 2many's xs runs fine on a small pair of 6v sla batteries in series.

Updated silly schematic. Is the reasoning behind the capacitor in the circuit to minimize load on battery and thereby allowing smaller AH rated battery? If one wanted electric start and used an appropriate AH battery, would the capacitor be needed?
PMA LIFEPO V.2.png

The caps purpose is twofold. 1 to provide a load on the alternator and to smooth out the waveform for the boost buck regulator. The more load on the PMA the better , less for the regulator to dissipate. The headlight load helps stabilize the PMA voltage swings.

Replacement igniter Box for XS650 TCI Systems

We just passed the 40 year anniversary of the introduction of the XS650 TCI system. That’s a long time for a piece of electronics out in the weather . In my case I bought a motor that was a tci system. I had no box or anyplace to plug one into.

So with my options were to search for a oem box that dates to to the Reagan years or search for a replacement.

The TCI system is pretty simple. A magnet embedded in the rotor is sensed by a pickup coil, the oval black plastic in the upper right of the photo. The 650 pickup has 2 coils, one centered on the idle file mark and the other is in a more advanced position. The box determines which pickup by how fast the engine is turning.

View attachment 167149

I have tried quite a few igniter boxes and was able to make sparks but could not get them to advance mirroring what many others here have found.

Modern igniter boxes use a variety of ways to be triggered and several ways to firing the coil.

What is needed is a box that will provide 20-25 degrees advance and can be triggered by the stock pickup.
I had asked about it working for an XJ650. It’s an 81

I had asked about it working for an XJ650. It’s an 81

It will take 2 Gonzo boxes. There are 2 pickups on the xj. I know the xj box responds to the XS650 TCI pickups . Hopefully the opposite is also true . I ran Old brown on my XJ700 TCI box but with no advance. That was the start of the search that ended up at the Gonzo . The stock XJ igniter boxes were made by the same company around the same time so they appear to be pretty similar . The difference is the design of the reluctor and pickups.

The good news is that it appears that there are 4 wires coming from the pickups so there is no common. That makes reversing the pickups polarity possible.

The Gonzo should work with the XJ's pickups . The reluctor may be a problem because of it's wide arc which is how the XJ igniter determines the amount of advance .

Several unknowns to overcome.

Hey y’all. I fried my tci and did a gonzo swap. I’ve got an 83 650 heritage special and followed Jim’s 8 to 6 connector swap and I’m still not getting anything. Here’s a picture of my wiring for it

Attachments

• EB8A4848-2C3B-4709-8C67-BA9217C271A0.jpeg
    EB8A4848-2C3B-4709-8C67-BA9217C271A0.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 55947AA1-A3E4-4704-90E2-22FB4E5C8C8B.jpeg
    55947AA1-A3E4-4704-90E2-22FB4E5C8C8B.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 79
First check for 12v on the red wire into the Gonzo. If no power then look into why . Also check for voltage at the coil.

Last edited:
Back