81 XS650 Trouble with kickstart

Rockymtn719

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
So I've read most of the threads on here that I could find regarding kickstart problems but none of them addressed my issue. So I decided to create an account and ask my question to you dedicated xs650 guys.

So I bought an 81 xs650 a few months ago as a project, it had some clutch isssues when purchased. Mainly the clutch was not engaging fully so when I would pull back on the throttle I could feel it disengaging. I figured the guy just put the wrong weight oil in the bike so I went ahead and purchased a clutch rebuild kit with new plates and springs, also purchased the Allen head clutch retention hardware for good measure. The previous owner also had a garbage pit bike hydraulic clutch conversion on there so I replaced that back to a cable. I installed the new clutch according to the manual. I also replaced the worm gear and changed the push rod to a one piece unit.

When I pulled the right side cover the kickstart assembly fell out. No big deal right? So I reinstalled the kicker using a thread on here for guidance. Now it won't kick. I can see the gear engaging with the transmission and the spring is tensioned properly but the kick start won't budge when it engages the gears. I'm able to make it move manually while turning the crank but when I move the kicker it won't budge.

I've tried reinstalling everything multiple times and still get the same result. mostly all the shops in my town refuse to work on old stuff. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

Ray, your kicker's symptons are exactly the same as mine. Kicker gear apparently installed correctly and cover fits on properly. Pressure on the kick start will not turn the motor over, but turning the crank with the crank nut and a wrench will allow the kicker to go down through its range.
I put that project off to one side, but wonder once the build is completed and the clutch properly adjusted, the kick start may well turn out to work correctly. My hope, but I have not returned to work on that bike yet to prove my theory.

Yes, pull the shaft right out and do it over again following the instructions in that thread. I bet it will be fine then.

So I reinstalled the kick shaft properly and still no kick.. well about a quarter turn and it stops. I then took apart the clutch pack again and saw that the inner basket spins when rotating. I then removed the outer basket to check if all the washers were installed properly and everything looks right. I reinstalled the clutch assembly and still the same result. The only thing I haven't changed are the cush springs in the back of the outer basket, could that be the issue? They don't look broken. Also even if the left cover is off and the clutch is out of adjustment the kick should still turn the primary and crankshaft right?

Back