81xs650 kicker trouble

smokedyerstang

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ive got an 81 xs650 with a starting issue. Cant get the electric start working. I tore everything apart, assuming ill need the #4gear/clip/spring, but thats not what im concerned with. I had it running with the kicker, but now it will not engage to start the motor. Not sure what is going on. The kicker just slips, not turning over at all. Anyone who has had this problem or has any ideas please let me know. Thanks, Colter

I'm going to assume you have the sidecase back on and everything assembled...

Are you certain you have the kickshaft inserted all the way in? It is a bit of a tricky
assembly to install exactly as it needs to be. I have a feeling your return spring
has come out of the recess.. and thus when you kick the starter down, nothing
is forcing the gear on the start shaft to rotate into position.. and thus turn over
the motor.

Just my guess... but I can't see it being anything else from the explanation you
have given.

I checked that link..Didnt figure it out from that. To answer the first reply, yes everything is back together. The only part of the kicker i removed was the lever. When the kicker is pushed down, it engages the gear and turns the clutch, but doesnt turn the crank. Hopefully that clarifies the issue some...

If the clutch push lever assembly (worm gear as some call it) or the clutch handle is too tight the kicker won't work..........clutch just slips if so..........xsjohn

Back