'83 XS650 Interchangeable Parts

cmills83

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello

Just picked up a '83 Xs650 basket case.

I am looking to build a vintage streetfighter/cafe but I notice the later years are generally setup more as choppers/bobbers so I have some parts interchangeability questions.

1. Rear setup:
The rear rim I have is a 16" Im assuming stock and the front is a 19". Id like to atleast have a 17 or 18 on back. I also need a swingarm and shocks, are all xs650 years interchangeable with the '83? My idea is to get a 17" then a swingarm and shocks off an older model so the back doesnt sit as low.

2. Forks and triple clamp:
What years are interchangeable? I plan on using stock forks and having them cut 1-2" or just sliding up in the triple clamp.

3. Engine:
Im not sure if the engine I have is good, Ill test in the next few weeks, if not what engines are interchangeable with the '83? By interchangeable I mean direct bolt in no custom mounts.

4. Tank:
It appears the older model tanks don't taper as much (looking straight down) are these a direct bolt in on the '83 frame?

Ok I think thats it, other than that I should be able to get everything else to work I just wanted to check interchangeability before starting to order parts.

For this discussion assume 74 up when I say all years.

1. Rear setup:
The rear rim I have is a 16" Im assuming stock and the front is a 19". Id like to atleast have a 17 or 18 on back. I also need a swingarm and shocks, are all xs650 years interchangeable with the '83? My idea is to get a 17" then a swingarm and shocks off an older model so the back doesnt sit as low.

All rims with the same type brake interchange. Your bike has a special frame so the top shock mounts are further forward otherwise all the shocks and swing arms are the same disk or drum brake being the major difference. an 18 with it's narrower tire is very slightly taller, < 1/2"?

2. Forks and triple clamp:
What years are interchangeable? I plan on using stock forks and having them cut 1-2" or just sliding up in the triple clamp.

77 up are direct interchange all or part.

3. Engine:
Im not sure if the engine I have is good, Ill test in the next few weeks, if not what engines are interchangeable with the '83? By interchangeable I mean direct bolt in no custom mounts.
All engines interchange, mounts stay with the frame. engines before 80 have points after are electronic.

4. Tank:
It appears the older model tanks don't taper as much (looking straight down) are these a direct bolt in on the '83 frame?
76 and older bikes have slightly longer tanks

Ok I think thats it, other than that I should be able to get everything else to work I just wanted to check interchangeability before starting to order parts.[/QUOTE]

i agree with Gary except on the tanks, The 74/75 tank will mount to all bikes made from 74/85 the difference on these 2 from the other large tanks is the petrol cap

By your id no you should have an 80 Special 2 G model. Spoke wheels, metal side-covers hinged seat, electronic ignition, (no points), the Tail/number-plate light mounted on the rear of the rear fender, and a chrome grab rail. If you don't have those parts and your frame no is correct then you do not have the correct parts for the frame.

HERE is a link to a model parts file to help you identify your bike and the parts you have

Last edited:
Thank you for all the info that really helps. Right now I just have a frame, a motor which may or may not work and wheels/carbs in a box. One last question, seeing how Im looking to build a streetfighter/custom/cafe similar to this which uses a '81 special frame:

http://modernmoto.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/modern-motorcycle-xs650.jpg

Im assuming the tank is off an older model because the xs650 special tank seems to come up more in the front, is that right?

One other question, how much further is the top of the rear shock vs an older xs650?

Thanks again

framestandard.jpg

framespecial.jpg

46mm or 1 3/4" ml They are also about 3/4" lower

On the tanks, the standards are a 3.9 gallon tank, the Specials use a 2.9 gallon tank. They just slimmed the tank down, about two inches in width.
The earlier standard tanks used two manual petcocks, in 78 I think it was they went to two vaccum petcocks. In 80 they went to a single vaccum petcock.
Leo

Back