84 Engine Stock Paint???

canuck1969

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know (rhetorical question as I know someone does) if the stock engine on the 84 was painted. My plan is to strip all the paint off and go raw and polished but the paint on the cases almost looks like powder coat. It is very smooth on the actual crankcase. I am wondering if it is stock paint or some PO podercoated it. May have to change plans if it is as poswder coating is a hell of a lot harder to take off.

FF177D12-6F2A-4D91-B9F6-854D0A3F15AD.jpeg

I’m not sure what it is, but I have an ‘83 with 56,000 miles on it. The paint on the cases looks like it did when I bought it 35 years ago. It came off of the carburetors, probably with carb cleaner. It’s mostly worn away on the top end.

It’s good stuff, considering the price point of the motorcycles. If you want it to look nice polished, you may want to look into vapor blasting. Paint stripper will likely take it off, but how will you get it out of the nooks and crannies?

Ok. Thanks. Pretty much what mine looks like so assuming stock paint. Will see what I can do to get it off. I have some pipe brushes for the nooks and crannies so not two concerned about those as longs as stripper tanks it off. No rush.

Last edited:
Back