A 1979 650F Heading to Texas

Capnkente

XS650 Enthusiast
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I finally got up to the Illinois/Wisconsin border to pick it up. VERY excited about getting it on the road again. 5000 original miles second owner, garaged. A few small neglect issues, ie.......petcocks leaking (the right one is a gravity feed, the left is a vacuum), a little rust under the triple tree, change the tank and the exhaust back to original( included by seller)........clutch needs adjusting, and the neutral lamp isnt working. Roads up here in rural Illinois keep breaking my tiedown straps! Got some heavy duty straps for the haul to Texas. Looking for a replacement Standard seat.
DAC11574-2819-4C91-83E8-D2985F725082.jpeg
C6303888-7386-4D5E-9E25-8BF3ACAEA26C.jpeg

Looks very nice. I would also recommend you go back to an original style 2-2 exhaust. Those 2-1 systems can be difficult to tune for, besides just not looking right, in my eyes anyway.

Looks very nice. I would also recommend you go back to an original style 2-2 exhaust. Those 2-1 systems can be difficult to tune for, besides just not looking right, in my eyes anyway.
I totally agree with you. Previous owner was a flat tracker and has an early Harley CR-250 in his den. I think that was his intent. He gave me two complete exhaust systems including the one on the bike, and a set of 'Commando-style' slip ons........I'll probably try those first.

You have a lovely motorcycle. ...and WELCOME to the madness... If you want an original "Style" seat find one here. https://texavina.com/xs650-standard-73-78/ I used one on my recent build and I am happy with it. It is a bolt on replacement for the original but contour is lower thus padding/foam is thinner. I find this fine for my old butt after 3 hour rides. This pic also show commandos on a slight upswept headpipe.
sat14.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, nice bike! I'm getting kinda 'long-in-the-tooth and short-in-the-padding' also. I'll check out Texavina. Thanks, bro!

XS650,76-79 Standard factory exhaust system is one of the nicest they put on the XS650F. Nicely balanced for looks with a nice kick up towards the back.
Clipboard_3_35_mm_1-2.jpg
10628116_604345713025015_4632089074024940597_n.jpg
10847900_604345733025013_6889709398852668844_n.jpg

Mufflers cover the rear axle but the wheels can b taken off without sliding out the axle by removing 2 blocks, (the adjusting plates rest on), and the wheel, axle and spacers all slide out in one piece. Of course the chain has to b broken and axle nut loosened

The factory seat for the F is well padded from the factory. Standard E model is very similar then the Standard D model is way better than the 74/75/76 Standard seats. 74/75/76 are flat.

Also the F came out with a chrome grab rail

All above info between models can b seen here.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

74-79 standard exhausts have a crossover under the engine. Some say it makes a difference to the engine. Friend had a 76 that had aftermarket 76-79 mufflers that didn't have a crossover. We found an original set with the cross over and he swore the bike felt different.

This was a daily rider to and from work and a lot of weekend riding. He had the bike so long he did 2 engine rebuilds due to mileage so his experience regarding the mufflers, I would believe

74-79 standard exhausts have a crossover under the engine. Some say it makes a difference to the engine. Friend had a 76 that had aftermarket 76-79 mufflers that didn't have a crossover. We found an original set with the cross over and he swore the bike felt different.

This was a daily rider to and from work and a lot of weekend riding. He had the bike so long he did 2 engine rebuilds due to mileage so his experience regarding the mufflers, I would believe
Yeah, one of the sets he gave me has a crossover......if I can get them to look right, I intend to use them.

Back