A couple of questions I hope you all can help with

jesse

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So I have a 78 or 79 xs650. I acquired everything in pieces and I am finally at the phase of my project where I am trying to get the bike to start. I have not messed with the carburetors as far as jetting goes, that is all stock. I have taken them apart out of curiosity and put them back together. I noticed some cracks on the diaphragms but I could not see light through it. However I have ordered new diaphragms just in case.

I had to modify the air cleaner boxes so that they would fit on the frame I'm using. The modification I did was I cut the upper corner off, which made that intake hole on the top quite a bit bigger. Would this affect the bike very much?... Also, the actual foam filter was very old and flaking off, so I went to the local hardware store and bought a foam filter that would be used on a lawn mower. It fits, so I figured it would get the job done. Does anyone see any problems with doing this?
The bike also has a peanut gas tank and a replacement Harley petcock. I put a inline fuel filter on it. there is a screen inside the tank as well on the petcock would this affect the fuel flow enough to cause problems?

Now when I start the bike it seems to idle fine. The only way for it to idle is for the choke to be fully out, when I give it any gas or push the choke in at all it dies. I noticed that what appears to be vacuum ports on the carb holders are plugged with rubber plugs. Is that stock? Also on top of the air cleaner box, there seems to be some ports with barbs on them, almost like a hose should go over it. Should I just leave those alone?

Thank you for any information and/or tips

Back