A design approach I want to try

crashcourse

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I want to build a custom bike. I thought I wanted a cafe or tracker, but looking at different examples, they don't fit how I ride. Bobbers and choppers aren't my style either. So I started thinking about what I want in a bike, more than just how it looks.

I use my bike mostly for commuting, running errands (including groceries), pleasure cruising for the day, and even a road trip or two. In short, everything you would do if it was your main vehicle. In truth, the stock 650 fits all my needs pretty good, but leaving it that way doesn't let me have the fun of building a custom bike. I have a big list of a lot of stuff I want (cargo/passenger capacity, range, mileage, power, tailpipe flamethrowers, etc. Some is practical, some is standard, some can be done with a simple upgrade, and some would require a major engine rebuild.

For example: I want more power. I could: improve volumetric efficiency or just make the engine bigger. Which could be turbocharging, a big bore kit, better air filters, intake manifold, exhaust pipes, or maybe any number of things.

So what I am hoping is that you could all list what you want in a bike. More power, less weight, flamethrowers, folding cargo racks, whatever. Then come up with as many ideas as we can to accomplish those design goals, yours and others'. I haven't been riding very long, so I'm pretty sure I haven't thought of everything that I could or would use, and this might be a good reference for anyone looking for ideas for their own build.

Posted via Mobile

I want a bike that I can lower at the touch of a switch and cruise with. And then when I hit the gravel or logging roads I can hit the switch and totally change the riding stance. If this were the case I'd want tunable suspension and a push button shifter :)

What I really want is a "hyanide"

http://www.menstech.com/2006/08/26/hyanide-snow-bike-at-the-2006-michelin-challenge-design/

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2...s-world-championship-of-custom-bike-building/

I would like a little more power. I'll be putting together another XS one of these days with a TD04-9B turbocharger. Going to dyno tune for 66whp. I'm also going to tweak the tail section and get weight down to 365lbs.

So a stock XS is was, 450 lbs? How do you plan on losing the weight? I know there are lots of ways, but what are some of the more novel ones?

There are a lot of threads about it but the way I plan on doing it is by removing the entire back half of the bike and putting on a single shock ultra-light swing-arm and welding on a leaf sprung seat.

Back