A different ignition

fredintoon

Fred Hill, S'toon.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
A new ad in the CVMG E-magazine:-
I have no idea how well this thing works but for sure you'd be the only kid on the block with one,
rather than being yet another XS650 rider who'd gone Pamco.

The CVMG News - April 2015
FOR SALE—Judson Cycle-Tron Ignition
System
by Judson Research & Mfg. Co., Con-
shohocken, Pennsylvania. Purchased new in
1966 and never used. Details can be seen at
http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/cycle-
tron_sales_literature.htm. Can be installed
on any 6 or 12 volt, single or twin cylinder
motorcycle with points and replaces single
ended and double ended coils. The Cycle-
Tron provides constant voltage at high engine
RPM. Asking $100. Located near Carleton
Place, Ontario. Mike McGinnis 613-257-4879,
64herald@gmail.com

It looks like an old design from the 1970's. He states it replaces germanium with silicon, which really dates it, as silicon has been used for a long,long time.

Its really a 6 volt coil, which then requires a ballast resistor if used on a 12 volt system. It still uses points, which we all know require fidling as they have mechanical wear and need re-adjustments at times.

Most of us want to get away from points, not go back to them.

It looks like an old design from the 1970's. He states it replaces germanium with silicon, which really dates it, as silicon has been used for a long,long time.

Its really a 6 volt coil, which then requires a ballast resistor if used on a 12 volt system. It still uses points, which we all know require fidling as they have mechanical wear and need re-adjustments at times.

Most of us want to get away from points, not go back to them.

Hi RG,
an old design from the 1970s? So is the XS650.
Fitting such a rare item ain't about utility; it's about bragging rights.
Pamcos work well but every shade tree mechanic is using one, be the only one with something that's different.
And it's all nice and shiny; bolt it on your hardtail some place where it'll show, eh?

Hi RG,
an old design from the 1970s? So is the XS650.
Fitting such a rare item ain't about utility; it's about bragging rights.
Pamcos work well but every shade tree mechanic is using one, be the only one with something that's different.
And it's all nice and shiny; bolt it on your hardtail some place where it'll show, eh?

Yes, I hear what you're saying Fred. It is functional and it is appropriate for XS650's, but for my ignition, I want a hot spark and minimal maintenance,
which = Accel coil with a Pamco/E-advance.

But I love my points, I love my points right where they are in a ziploc baggie.:wink2:
I have a one of a kind ignition in my bike,but not for long

But I love my points, I love my points right where they are in a ziploc baggie.:wink2:
I have a one of a kind ignition in my bike,but not for long

OK Carbon, you've got bragging rights now, on the Beta version re-phase E-advance, but those days are numbered, as the word gets out and Pete's new product spreads out like dandelions in spring time.:bike:

this company used to make superchargers and ignition systems for VW's back in the 50's and 60's. Now collected and covetted by VW enthusiests. Even the pics in the links show what I think is a 60's Honda Dream cycle. They've been around a while, at least.

Yes, I hear what you're saying Fred. It is functional and it is appropriate for XS650's, but for my ignition, I want a hot spark and minimal maintenance,
which = Accel coil with a Pamco/E-advance.

Hi RG,
yeah, but you are one of those guys that actually use your XS650 to travel on.
That rare and obsolete iggy is for those who park their bikes outside the club house and compare the bling that's been added to them.

I agree with R.G. I have multiple 250-300 mile day rides. I am about to do another on Wednesday. I think I finally got my Vm's dialed in. 57 mpg last trip with 60mph average. I do not know if I want to try the ex500 carbs now, but I have bought everything that I need to give it a go.

I agree with R.G. I have multiple 250-300 mile day rides. I am about to do another on Wednesday. I think I finally got my Vm's dialed in. 57 mpg last trip with 60mph average. I do not know if I want to try the ex500 carbs now, but I have bought everything that I need to give it a go.

Hi tony,
I've never gotten more than 45mpg (and that's the 4.2 liter Imperial gallons) on my stock carbed XS650 ridden solo with 17T-33T sprockets and the mileage ridden 17T-38T plus sidecar has to be a lot worse.
So I'd say don't mess with success, leave those VMs right where they are.
However, your signature line says you have two XS650s so put the ex500 carbs on the other one?

Fred the 76' has not been built. I am thinking 277 degree crank WWII style and maybe ex500 carbs.

Hi tony,
well, you already have the carbs so why not?
277º sounds like it'll keep you busy too but WWII style?
You mean rigid frame, girder forks and a matte olive drab paint job with white stars and a serial number on the tank?

57 to 60 mpg.................yeah, that's excellent! Just be careful you don't go too lean.I get 56 mpg (US gallons) average on long trips into the mountains, with my BS38 carbs.

Hi tony,
I've never gotten more than 45mpg (and that's the 4.2 liter Imperial gallons) on my stock carbed XS650 ridden solo with 17T-33T sprockets and the mileage ridden 17T-38T plus sidecar has to be a lot worse.
So I'd say don't mess with success, leave those VMs right where they are.
However, your signature line says you have two XS650s so put the ex500 carbs on the other one?

Fred, that's only 37 US mpg. Your carbs are running too rich.You should be getting 50+ US mpg.

Fred I will keep the suspension. I have one tank painted olive drab. I will ad ammo boxes and drab fenders.

Attachments

• Army.jpg
    Army.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Back