A few questions on charging/ignition setup

flamesnm

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi

Apologies in advance for the long post. The TL;DR is a well running bike has started cutting out while riding after an "upgrade" I made, which has lead to book reading and confusion.

The bike is a 1976 based customized XS650. Engine rebuilt and bored out to 750. Hugh's PMA kit. Pamco Pete with blue box external e-advance ( this was the upgrade ). Batteryless with Lucas capacitor. Kick only. New simple wiring loom. Basically a new bike.

I made a few decisions early on for the above setup. When I made them I knew little about how a charging and ignition systems works, but just bought parts that looked like upgrades for the barn find XS I had bought. The bike ran for 1200 miles without a hitch after rebuild.

Then I was looking at Pete's site and saw the blue box external auto advance, another upgrade. Bought it and put it on the bike because anything electronic has to be better than something mechanical : ) No problems for a few rides, then the engine cut out leading to a long walk home. Then again. From cold, the bike starts first ( maybe third or fourth ) kick and runs like a champ, right up until it dies and won't start again. I'm 90% confident this is not a fuelling issue as I had the carbs/jets ultrasonic cleaned, there's fuel in the bowls and fuelling has been fine over the previous 1200 miles.

I never learn anything until the bike goes wrong, so set about teaching myself a few things about charging/ignition and my particular setup. Got a multi-meter and learned about testing.

First thing I learned is that Pete ( and other sites selling capacitors/battery eliminators ) for XS650s say not to use his e-advance unit with a capacitor. Lesson learned there. The overall design for the charging/ignition system is flawed as soon as I introduced the blue box e-advance. Is that the only issue ?

Second thing is I have almost no load on the circuit ( only a rear running light ) and with repeated testing I'm seeing 14.9 volts at ( low) idle. 15.2 volts at low revs. More at mid throttle. So I think I've found the cause of my engine cutting out, as I'm assuming those voltages cause problems for the electronic ignition and e-advance. That would appear to be enough ( from reading ) to cook a battery, so presuming Pete's ignition isn't going to stand up to that either. Adding load ( a headlight ) brings the voltage down at the ignition to 13.5 at low throttle.

The questions relate to what I do about it ?

Decision: The PMA is staying in place, so any other changes need to revolve around that decision.

Question: With the reg/rec putting out 15.2 volts and above with minimum load ( it came with Hugh's PMA kit ) I'm assuming it's bad and needs replacing. It tests out OK, but on a running bike it shouldn't be putting out more than 14.5volts. That's it's job. Is that a fair assumption ?

Decision: New 3 phase reg/rectifier goes on. Which leads to.....

Question: If I can't run my current setup with a capacitor, I thought I'd throw on a 4 cell li-ion Antigravity battery. Except I'm reading ( on the Electrex site ) that you can't run a li-ion with a reg/rec as they damage/cause fires/general levels of bad. Is this really a problem ? Antigravity themselves sell reg/recs on their site ( https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/lithium-friendly-voltage-regulator-rectifiers-bike.html ) The one they sell looks very similar to the one I got with Hugh's kit. Are there specific reg/recs for li-ion batteries ? Is "mosfet" the key here ?

Decision: I need to test my electronic ignition setup to see to determine whether I've done something terminal to it by pushing 15.2 +volts at it and it needs replacing ( probably with a Boyer given Pete's recent announcement ).I know a little more now, but not enough to prove to myself whether it's good/bad.

So minimum changes look like new reg/rec to get that low load voltage down and swap out the cap for a battery. If the ignition is toast, then the whole lot comes out from the PMA up.

Last edited:
Just Googled "mosfet" and have an answer there. It's a more precise regulation than shunt, so appropriate for Li-Ion which need careful voltage and current management. Although the electrex reg/recs are mosfet, but still list not to use them with lithium batteries. I'll be calling them today to get it from the horses mouth.

Just re-read and realised I made a bunch of statements in the post, rather than specific questions. The main question is how do I find out whether I've damaged my Pamco Pete and it needs replacing ? I think I've figured out everything else, but happy to be corrected.

I only learn when it's broken should be my mantra

Thank you 650Skull. Appreciate Pete has made a business decision. I've got a Boyer lined up in case I've fried the Pamco. I'll see if there are testing instructions in that link you've kindly provided.

Also followed up with Electrex who've said their reg/recs are not "modern" and their advice for their own products still stands, which is they should not be used with a lithium battery. So "mosfet" on it's own is not an answer. I'm going to call Antigrav next to get the skinny from them.

See, more confusion on reading things.
Pete's answers on there say e-advance works fine batteryless. His email to me said the exact opposite.

The barebones with e-advance shows my setup ( minus kill switch and neutral LED ). This is the diagram I used, but it flies in the face of Pete's own advice to me. No e-advance with capacitor.

The hot wire comes out of the reg/rec and splits to the ignition and to the capacitor so the only voltage is coming from the PMA, into the reg/rec and then on to the ignition AND the capacitor. I always thought the capacitor was a "store" of excess voltage to disapate as heat in this setup and nothing more. How does the capacitor charge impact the ignition as per the point from Pete below. ( Dumb statement alert !! ) The cap doesn't provide anything to the coil or the e-advance.
"2. The E-Advancer has to "wake up" and that means that the capacitor has to get to at least 7.5 Volts with the kick."

Mine does. It shows 13+ volts on kick if I've had my spinach and then ( as above ) 15.2 when the bike is running at low revs, but I've got a complete knowledge failure here now.

Last edited:
Just seen this from XSLeo in that thread:

A. XSLeo........With the bike at idle you should get about 12-13 volts or so. Rev the engine up a bit. About 2500 rpms, the voltage should come up to around 14.5 volts. If you rev it up more it should never go above 14.5 volts. I have this !

If you have no voltage, low voltage or high voltage, above 15 volts, you need to check the wiring on the stator to reg/rec and from the reg/rec to the cap and grounds

Back