A little Cleveland Voodoo

Pov76

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I picked up three titled bike, two extra motors, and a pile of parts this winter. I spent most of the cold months working on my new leather / bike workshop , and lingering around here reading. This build is starting off with the 81. This bike was a complete runner, I rode it around a bit in the 20 degree weather, started in three kicks. So I started the teardown a couple months ago and started looking into my frame / hardtail options. Im just going to replace some gaskets on the motor and try to stop a couple leaks, just do a general wipe down of the motor. Im going to leave covers and any other parts of the motor in their current aged look.
photo-47.jpg

I made the decision to go the hardtail route. So I figured...Might as well build a frame jig and do it right. Travis hooked me up with his kit and here is the jig. I still have to make the legs and raise it up a bit and make it rotate. I should have it finished in the next couple weeks.
photo-29.jpg

BUT.....Then one day I shot an email out to Dave over at Voodoo Vintage, and that changed the whole game. This guy is great to work with....great customer service and a great vision of how his company can help the garage guy like me, build killer shit. I settled on one of his pro builder kits. Its pretty much a fully engineered frame, bent and notched, ready to be assembled in my jig. We started with his MK2 kit, but in a drop seat style, with s set of his gusset mini apes. All with matching speed hole gussets.
photo-46.jpg

photo-45.jpg

So my drop seat builders kit arrived last Thursday, have to say....amazing work. Ill be ordering a couple frame jig parts from Travis this week, get the steel next week for the legs and it will be game on. Im excited. Ive been slammed with custom seat work , so its been hard to work on my own stuff

Wait till you see the progress next week. My plan is to have the frame ready for finish welding by the end of next week :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Finally got my frame jig all finished up. Travis did a great job. With a little bit of tweaking its fairly easy to achieve a perfectly level jig with the steering head and axle fixture at exactly 90 degrees.

photo-76.jpg

Dave from Voodoo Vintage has been extremely helpful. Along with the killer craftsmanship, he sent a PDF with some general guidelines and recommendations and also a 1:1 that I was able to get printed at my local Kinkos. Since Im only one guy, Dave recommended that a couple different sections of the frame be layed over the print and rough tacked in place, with the expectation that the small tacks can be cut for alignment once everything is in place. The gusset and axle plates have been spaced to ensure they are perfectly on center.
photo-71.jpg

photo-72.jpg

photo-73.jpg

photo-74.jpg

I just rough set the two rear section to get an idea of how the alignment would be. I adjusted the axle plates to 90 degrees and both the seat rail and the lower rail at the straight sections measured 0 and 0.1 degrees. Hopefully I will get some more done this weekend. Ill post more pictures.
photo-77.jpg

I set the jig to duplicate the height of the rear wheel, 12.5 inches to the center of the axel. Looks like a perfect 4" of clearance between the ground and the bottom of the lower frame rail, and 16" to the top of the seat rail. I'm liking it!!!:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Yeah..I'm taking my time learning all I can about frame building, asking questions, and writing everything down.

Posted via Mobile

There is plenty more pics and details coming this weekend. I'm very happy with how everything is coming together.

Posted via Mobile

Back