A little morning ride

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This time of year in Phoenix, the afternoons are starting to get pretty darned hot. But the mornings? Ahh the mornings are splendiferous. This morning it was 72 degrees , sunny and clear and the air smells sweet with spring flowers. So naturally a little ride was in order, been doing that a lot here lately.

Nothing special, just out tooling around. Rode North through the town of Surprise and the community of Marley Park, a beautiful lushly landscaped community.
B6AD8D2E-B371-4679-8DE8-5BAF9BC5092B.jpeg

02A5B449-18D7-447B-A52D-DE4EDDEE915D.jpeg

Passing through Surprise I continued North towards the retirement communities of Sun City Grand and Sun City West, where I used to work.
On the way I passed one of Maricopa Counties infamous chain gangs clearing weeds on the side of the road. This is a file photo because they have signs up that say no stopping and if you did stop near a chain gang, the man with the shotgun would take a keen interest in you real quick.
7D4C81C0-6CFD-4792-8D12-00138D5A685A.jpeg

And yup, those are ladies. Bad girls bad girls, what you gonna do? Nobody is forced to take part, Participation is voluntary.
Pulling in to Sun City West it’s one golf course after another, up here everyone plays golf and they are allowed to drive their golf carts on the street.
A7894BAF-C935-406F-8CD5-A8F3F2304BAA.jpeg

8E9B84DC-5DC2-478E-BD4C-EFD3AF91EEE5.jpeg

After leaving Sun City West I turned West and headed toward the White Tank Mountains and ride through farm land. By then the temperature was climbing fast and I turned for home. I rode over 60 miles this morning and when I got home I put the bike up on its center stand and drained the oil while it was good and hot. Did a little maintenance and cleaning on the old girl. Some mornings , nowhere special is just the right destination. :bike:

Some mornings , nowhere special is just the right destination. :bike:

Right on Bob!
You're killing us Northern still cold boys with your beautiful pics and trips but at the same time letting us live vicariously through your adventures.

Thanks for posting this!

Wow - I’d give my right one for a nice ride.

Hey - I AM going on a nice ride! :bike:

I’m heading out on my first long ride of season tomorrow. The ST Owners group is meeting for an RTE at a big restaurant (Der Dutchman in Mansfield) in rural Ohio on Saturday. I’m riding down with a buddy from London (where Robin lives). Each year one of the Ohio riders and his wife kindly host about 15 or 20 Canadians at their home for the Friday and Saturday nights. :shrug: ....big vat of chilli, lots of BEvERages, great riding and wonderful people!

It is only about 4 hours away - which is nothing on the ST - but it should be fun.

Just hope the danged rain holds off.....

Pete

That sounds great Pete!
Have you had your new Suzuki out for a spin yet?

Yup - I’ve commuted to work a few times and just booted around, but frankly, the weather has been so poor on such a consistent basis that it’s only got about 320 km on it (about 200 miles) - which, for me is a short Saturday afternoon ride. I think I’m on my second or third tank of gas...maybe.

I will report that it’s a heck of a nice bike, it runs like a top and has got LOTS of steam. I said this before and I will repeat my prediction that in the year 2057....people our age will be talking about their Suzuki SV650s the way we talk about our Yamaha XS650s. There are tons of them around and while they aren’t quite the fastest nor quite best handling, they have an overall aura of “rightness” that somehow transcends brands, displacements, hype and advertising. It has a round headlight, a fairly simple twin cylinder fuel injected 650, 6 speeds, chain drive, tubeless tires, three discs and ABS and fairly reasonable ergonomics that even a “genuine classic of the 50s” like me can find comfort riding.

What’s not to like?

Yup - I’ve commuted to work a few times and just booted around, but frankly, the weather has been so poor on such a consistent basis that it’s only got about 320 km on it (about 200 miles) - which, for me is a short Saturday afternoon ride. I think I’m on my second or third tank of gas...maybe.

I will report that it’s a heck of a nice bike, it runs like a top and has got LOTS of steam. I said this before and I will repeat my prediction that in the year 2057....people our age will be talking about their Suzuki SV650s the way we talk about our Yamaha XS650s. There are tons of them around and while they aren’t quite the fastest nor quite best handling, they have an overall aura of “rightness” that somehow transcends brands, displacements, hype and advertising. It has a round headlight, a fairly simple twin cylinder fuel injected 650, 6 speeds, chain drive, tubeless tires, three discs and ABS and fairly reasonable ergonomics that even a “genuine classic of the 50s” like me can find comfort riding.

What’s not to like?

I completely agree. I think it is a modern classic and a future collectible hobby bike.

Here in Minnie Cold Duh... mornings are high 30's.... 50-60's afternoons... I start'd to park the car outside and fill the park'n spot downstairs.. got the scooter.. install'd the updated fender on the sidecar and it's park'd... tomorrow.. I'll get a couple more... :)

Back