A Six, a four, 2 threes and now a twin.

Brian G

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Good Day, Eh?

I'd like to say 'Hello' to forum members, from an XS650 newbie in PEI, Canada. I've been looking for a 360 degree twin to complement my 'collection' and was initially looking for something British; however, right next to the Kijiji ad for a pretty basic '73 Norton was this sweet-looking '77 XS - and for less than 2/3 the price! It's in my garage now, getting to know the other inhabitants. I'm sure they'll get along just fine :rolleyes:

Looking forward to 'meeting' the folks on the board.

Best Regards,
Brian

Attachments

• Yamaha.JPG
    Yamaha.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 229
Thanks for the replies! The P.O. did mention that the tank and seat were from, I think he said, an '81. Right now, the plan is to ride the wheels off of it - my CBX is undergoing a cosmetic restoration at the moment so there will be lots of opportunity to enjoy the XS - once the snow goes for good. :bike:

The only changes I have in mind are, as suggested, the seat and perhaps a Dunstall replica 1/4 fairing (I'm not sure yet). My other bikes are all completely stock so the XS will be the focus of my cafe racer inclinations. The P.O. went through it pretty thoroughly - electronic ignition, K&N pod filters (along with the often-overlooked carb rejetting :thumbsup:), front forks rebuilt, needle bearing mod to the swingarm, both brakes rebuilt with new shoes and pads etc., etc. Nothing to do really, except enjoy that engine and the great exhaust note - I'll have to make up a video clip of the XS and BSA Rocket 3 (see attachment) winding it out together down the road at the end of my driveway - the two of them will rip the yellow line right off the asphalt :D

Thanks again for the responses!
Regards,

Attachments

• A75R.jpg
    A75R.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 176
Be sure to post those CBX pics when it finished. How anout pics of the KH4? I had a 75 metallic green. Fun bike back then. Gave a bud with a 740-4 fits.

Thanks - the BSA was my first classic but they are all 'special'. The Kwak is the token two-stroke but will still suck the headlight out of my wife's CB550 - albeit with not a lot of finesse :D

Back to the XS..., does anyone have any experience (or pictures) of having fitted the Dunstall replica 1/4 fairing from Old Bike Barn? I think it's the same as the one supplied by Airtech - model AJSM4K - and I'm thinking it might just be the perfect finishing touch.

Regards,

Attachments

• KH400.jpg
    KH400.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 154
The Kawi trip's have a soft spot in my heart. "Just roll that power on", and feel the front wheel come up.

Quote's to Bob Seger whom I'm going to see tonight

That quarter fairing from Old Bike Barn has been around for many years and, quite frankly, it's a piece of junk. It's some sort of ABS plastic or something and has a butt-ugly bolt sticking through each side. That funky color in their pic kinda hides that. It's also not really rounded and smooth flowing, something else that pic fails to show. It's kinda rounded and squared, mixed together. Bottom line, get the Airtech.

And that's one of the many reasons I love these forums - the information available is mind-boggling! How did we manage without the internet?

I see there are actually a couple of 1/4 fairings on that site and there is a bit of a difference. I didn't like the (black) Viper myself - too much of a vertical rise from the headlight for my taste. The (purple) Dunstall replica didn't look too bad in the picture - and actually has, word-for-word, the same 'mounting tip' as the Airtech listing. Were you referring to the Viper, 5twins? Or to either?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Viper.jpg
    Viper.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Dunstall Replica.jpg
    Dunstall Replica.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 161
Back