A thank you to the mods

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
Is he gone? His profile says hes banned.
Although amusing, yamaha77 got old very fast.
Sure, some if the gents here can be surly, and some seem to have a bad day, but we get over it. 5t with an occasional outburst, fred with his hang ups on front brakes, or even skull with his "this is facts, and i will not stray "attitude,,, i love you all with sincere gratitude for your input in putting together the best mc forum ever.
To Travis, and Gggary, i grant thee the ever powerful "Ban-hammer " award. Thank you. And to all the others that that put in there .2cents worth, it is all golden.

Every individual is different in their own way.............but WTF? I cannot even try to understand, and I've hung out with some real ________s .

Scott

Every individual is different in their own way.............but WTF? I cannot even try to understand, and I've hung out with some real ________s .

Scott
Hi Scott,
thing is about those "My daddy/bike/trophy wife/lifestyle's better than yours" posts and their resentful replies, it ain't just the poster and the replier what reads 'em.
It's everybody.
Right now for instance there's 20 list members, 74 guests and 24 robots reading this post.
And (although I'm not sure about the robots) one of them might be helped by seeing a sensible reply to a technical question that's part of someone's braggadocio.

Come on Fred, many here tried to help the guy. If I understand your point, yes in the moment or in posterity someone may get some useful advice or ideas from the answers he got to his questions. I very well can appreciate the responses that you were giving. I just have trouble helping someone who refuses to help themselves. I know I'm not a lot of help here, I don't have a lot of XS experience yet, some of the design points of the XS are still not clear to me. But, I'm learning, I'm doing, just not ready to show my work yet, I know how to get answers when I need them. Just here to learn and help if I can, I like the sharing part.

Scott

That's it, one sentence to explain it all, some people call me curt and terse, I don't really use a lot of words to get my point across.

I just have trouble helping someone who refuses to help themselves. refuses to help themselves

Sadly, Scott

Now, now, lets be clear. This isnt a thread to bash anybody, beyond a rib jab, its to thank the powers that be for laying back , seeif our village could raise a child, then stepping in when it wasnt working

In such a large population as the USA, there is going to be a small percentage of people that have deplorable behaviour.
The yamaha77 lad appears to have a narcissistic personality disorder, which is one of the personality structures associated with chronic lying. He probably has been that way for along time, and is not likely to change. Lets all be thankful he is gone.

Sometimes people with that disorder, make it to very powerful positions. When outright lying is revealed , they invent phases such as "alternative facts"!

"Don't believe what you think" is what I often remember. Internet has the variety of so many of us riders . There are great contributors here on XS650 that just we have to pick n sort what is relevant. RT

Sometimes people with that disorder, make it to very powerful positions. When outright lying is revealed , they invent phases such as "alternative facts"!
Not really. That disorder is compensation for ineptness, the opposite of powerful position. Alternative fact is a whimsical jab meaning alternative spin. No facts anymore, just spins and alternative spins.

I'm curious as to what the final offense was? I guess I missed that one.

And Fred, I understand you POV, but all of his questions could have been answered with a simple search, so no real loss here as far as the technical aspects go. I mean, "My light isn't burning, could it be the bulb?"... seriously? And that was immediately followed with "here's a pic of me".
This is now the third known forum he's banned from for this exact behavior. The guys at SOHC4 bent over backwards and tried to get him on board. He eventually threatened one of the most helpful and respected members there via his personal phone, after that guy tried to take him under his wing, too.
You've lost NOTHING here....other than a little entertainment value, maybe.

Exactly, Scott. Fred, I take your point, but those questions were bait, and every time a member took one of them seriously the troll was smirking, thinking that he'd made a fool of anyone who responded. Maybe 77 is a narcissistic fantasist, maybe his line of BS was no more than a device to irritate and provoke response. Either way the behavior was destructive, in both intent and outcome. Travis and Gary, thanks for taking out the trash!

I avoided reading this thread till this morning, prolly should just keep my lip buttoned 'cause it's mostly over, but hey you'all are wondering and we are a COMMUNITY so you deserve to know.
The whole edit, ban or ignore thing was on me. Trav was quite busy and unavailable for a time. Not to mention he may have been allowing me enough rope to hang myself.
Yeah I (MANY here) bent over backwards to let him stay. Many factors involved in that.
Quite a few were able to just shut up and ignore the spectacle. I am sure this was NOT always easy. Others not so much.
IT is winter and things are a bit boring, no matter what else it was, it made for some interesting reading and WAS thought provoking on many levels.
This whole event set a forum record since I have been a mod. Hopefully one that will stand forever!
Number of posts and threads edited or deleted was incredible. Never have I gotten so many PMs both positive and negative on any one subject.
I did spend a lot of time PMing back and forth with 77 (and others) on this as well.
At least some of my reason for letting as much as I did stand was letting others see all the variation in attitudes and reactions and how easy it is to get sucked into actions that in retrospect aren't the "shining moments" of our lives.
And maybe I was testing my mod skills, see if I could mend what proved to be unfix-able by me in this little world.
I won't go into right wrong, but the event wasn't COMPLETELY one sided.
In the end it was Trav that pulled the plug and banned 77, I think I was mighty close, I had (yet again?) drawn a line in the sand, it held for about three days then was crossed.
Part of the reason I love this forum is the way that so many world wide interact, develop friendships and help each other here regardless of differences.
Then someone shows up that just HAS to cause disruption. G shakes head......
I know I stepped on more that a few toes during this and to all that were offended by my editing I apologize if was heavy handed on occasion and thanks for sticking around!
Thanks to all involved, that was FUN! :laughing: gggGary
PS I am still editing some aftermath posts about this deal. It's not quite dead yet.

Important for us all to keep this in context - this forum is overwhelmingly populated by folks who just want to enjoy our beloved 650's in their many forms and who take a lot of time to share their knowledge and experience freely when someone needs help. Let's celebrate that and recognize this guy for what he was - a far outlier to the clear character of this forum.

Dear 650 friends:

However it went down, I want to say that I regret any part I had in rising to the bait (and after a couple of sincere tries at helping 77, I sure did loose my temper with him). I applaud Gary and Trev for their patience, wisdom and for their final decision.

This is supposed to be fun and a learning experience - and it truly has been and continues to be exactly that for me.

Cheers all,

Pete

PS: the snazzy new MAC Performance exhaust system arrived yesterday just as I returned from one business trip and had to leave on another. I'll be unpacking it when I get back home tonight and I'll post piccys on my build thread. Yippee!!! :D

Well done Gary (and Travis)! You had more patience with that deplorable than I would have had. I saw what this lad was doing very early and I warned people, but it carried on as he baited with enthusiasm. I disagree with anyone that says this was entertaining........................bad behaviour is not entertaining. Its sad that this unwelcome drama generates a record number of posts.

I maybe a little older than most on this site (except for Fredintoon, cheers Fred:) ), and I remember a time when integrity meant something. Being honest and truthful defined the strength of character of a man. Nowadays, I see things happening in the everyday news that show that some people (not all) have fallen into a dark place with no values at all.

Back