about to buy new clutch, any suggestions.

shark1979

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i have my 78. i have just got it running pretty good thank to your help on here. i just broke my hand at work today so i wont be riding for a while. i noticed i dont have much clutch left so i figured i would change it out in the down time. what do i need t0 get? fiber disc, steel dics , springs, and what else? is it hard to change. i have changed the one on my KXF250 many times with no probvlems. but do not know about this one? again sorry for all the questions.

The fiber plates on these rarely wear out. Take it apart and measure them before blowing money on something you maybe don't even need. It's more likely that your adjustment is off or your cable is just all stretched out and needs replacing. You can replace everything and spend upwards of $100 or just get a cable for $20.

the only reason i say that i might need a new one is i have to let the clutch almost all the way out before it starts to engage.

You should adjust the the clutch at the left side of the engine and at the lever. That would be the first step. Is the cable in good condition or worn out?

As 5twins said, these clutches are quite durable, and plates don't wear very much. Don't order any parts until you take the clutch apart and measure. Specs are available on line at www.biker.net or in your manual. You will need a clutch holding tool.

When I took my clutch apart, I measured the steel plates and the friction plates, and found they were within specs. My springs were in spec as well.

If you had clutch slippage, then new springs would be needed....................if no slippage then no need to replace.

Pay close attention to the order that plates and washers come apart. PO's sometimes have not assembled the clutch correctly. I had a missing washer in my clutch.

The pressure plate doesn't move very far, about 3.5 to 4 mm, with this short throw and the stretch in the cable you need as much of the lever travel as you can get to fully open the pressure plate.
Adjusting the lever to move the friction zone closer to the bars means you won't open the clutch all the way, this causes clutch drag which leads to creeping in gear and neutral impossible to find as well as hard shifting.
Leo

Back