Accessory swapping

Hi rainycity,
if you mean will the stock chromed steel tube grabrail off a '79 fit where an '81's stock aluminum grabrail came off, no it won't.
If it's an aftermarket bolt-on backrest, perhaps.
Post a photo?

Post a link if you can't do a pic.

I assume your talking about a backrest, as in your heading and post. Not a grab-rail

rainycity, That back rest will mount on your later model Special. Mounts through the Guard and top of shock mount and these are the same on all Specials

78SE/79SF Chrome grab-rail will bolt onto any Special 78-84 because the mounting points are the top of the shocks and the rear guard mount. The guard mount bolt threads into the grab-rail. 78/79 grab-rail has the indicators mounted on it, 80-84 indicators mount to the frame. The 80-84 frame is different in this area

The 80-84 Special Alloy grab-rail or the 81H chrome grab-rail will not mount on a 78/79 Special

I have swapped a 78/79 grab rail to my 80SG. Indicators bolt onto the grab-rail and are a tight fit because the bolt almost touches the frame where the 80-84 indicators mount

Another fly in the ointment is the brake/tail lamp with the lift off seat.
The side hinged seats are what I would call a full seat. The newer Specials with the lift off seat have the brake/ tail lamp attached to the grab rail, aka the flying brick tail light, as the earlier side hinged seats have the brake/tail lamp attached to the rear fender.
I prefer the look of the early side hinged full seats so I converted my '83 over and moved the brake light to the fender. Having done this the stock back rest or sissy bar goes on, no problem with the mounts as Skull has stated.
There may be some backrests that were designed to be used with the lift off seat having the 'flying brick' tail lamp.......not sure there......
Now the question to you is which way is your seat attached.....hinged or lift off?

Anything can be made to work with some inventiveness.

As NJ says, Doing the grab-rail swap, the brake light from the alloy grab-rail has to be replaced in some way. I to replaced the later Special rear guard with the earlier 78/79 rear guard, that has the brake/taillight in the one lens

Back