Acorn nut to plug tach hole? Thread size

section8joe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I want to plug up that tach hole on my xs. Has anyone used an acorn nut? Will that work? Any idea what size and pitch I would need? I don't have my original cable.

That threaded part on the case just screws out. Take it to the hardware store and see if you can match something up.

Well I couldn't find an acorn nut but I did find a screw cover that will work. Not quite sure if the thread side is correct but it kinda snaps on to the tach and fits tight.
5726624661_733187c9c2.jpg

5727083160_c961bb0cb5_z.jpg

I'll eventually get the nut from Mike's or 650 central. I just don't need anything else and I'm not gonna pay $8 for shipping on a $5 part.

Old thread- digging it back up over here boss.

Does anyone know the actual thread pitch? I like the acorn nut idea. I recall someone in some other thread mentioning that it was a 16mm thread. Anyone know if that is a proprietary pitch or if it is standard?

I see that this is an extremely old post. I'm assuming someone must have come up with the correct thread size and plugging device. I've tried to order Part #51-6514 from Mikes a few x's and always sold out. I'm going with the piece to ACE and see if I can match it.

I believe it's an M16 with a 1.5 pitch. Good luck finding one. I searched everywhere and didn't come up with squat. Went with Mikes cause it was easy.

Just about everyone can block off both the speedo and tach for free with a tiny bit of work. Results will be comparable to the MikesXS part. Since you're ditching your tach/speedo, you probably have some old shitty cables you're about to toss. Don't toss the shitty cables. The ends have a threaded sleeve that screws onto the bike. Use a dremel with a cut-off wheel, tin snips, wire cutters, or whatever you have on hand to cut the cable sheath and remove it the threaded sleave. Now you have the MikeXS part, but it has a hole in the end. Cut a piece of sheet metal (or a coffee can, or a beer can, or a tobacco tin...) to match the inner diameter of your piece, pop it in, screw it down, and you're duzno. Free, and it probably took you less time than the rationalization you're going to give your wife for yet another MikesXS package.

Thanks Oak, That's exactly what I did last night. I basically cut the cable used the tach screw tip. For a quick fix put a little JB weld mix in the hole to block out the dirt. Turned out great for what it is. I've gotten wise on the MikesXS orders and have em shipped to my work now. Wife hasn't caught on yet, but for the most part I'm trying to do everything used and garage style.

Can anyone confirm the thread pitch and size? I just want it capped off should I need it down the road and that way I will be able to save the cable and everything else should the need arise.

Back