advance / breaker housing o-ring source?

For what originals cost, I think I might be tempted to try an American alternative, like McMaster Carr part #9464K133, 3/32" wide x 1 13/16" I.D. $5.64 for a 10 pack in Viton as opposed to about $4 for one stock ring.

5twins: After a similar question I recently threw out on the Forum (Replacement of O-Rings on New Valve Guides) regarding Valve guide o-rings (that are only available from Mikesxs in a kit), I have the following questions:

If I opt to go with McMaster Carr as an o-ring source (they often are my go-to for metric fasteners), what O-Ring material is best to choose for oil applications on our 650's, Nitrile Rubber (Buna-N) or Viton Rubber? I see that temp ratings are 150 F deg. higher for Viton.

I see that Silicone is another option and their color is red-orange. I've seen a fair number of red-orange o-rings on my top end during my rebuild. Are these Silicone in composition due their color or is this coincidental?

Thank You.

Last edited:
Cool Guide, Grinder. Thanks.

I wonder whether is any color standardization of o-rings by composition across manufacturers.... I work at a chemical plant and see a lot of color grouping with chemical-resistant gloves.

I would use at least Viton because of the heat. The Buna-N is gas and oil resistant but will not take the heat. They work fine in carbs and I also use them on the cam chain adjuster acorn nut. Being set back away from the cylinder, I guess that acorn nut doesn't get too hot because I've never had a Buna-N o-ring fail me there. Go to that Cycle O-rings.com web site and look at their intake manifold o-rings. They sell mostly kits for Suzuki carbs and they use Buna-N o-rings. However, for the intakes, they sell Viton because of the heat. They say Buna-N will burn up.

I think the sprinkling of red o-rings we find on the 650 are silicone. If you could accurately determine the size then sure, you could use silicone replacements. The problem is figuring out those sizes. It's hard to accurately measure an o-ring, even a new one. Silicone o-rings are expensive so if you goof, it costs you. I know, I have, lol.

I've used the black replacements in the Athena gasket kit several times now with no problems. I'm assuming they are Viton. I never used the guide ones because I've never had guides out but I have used the points/advance housing ones and the 4 for those sleeves that slip into the 4 outer stud holes on the top cover.

Sounds good. Viton appears to be a bit more expensive than neoprene from McMaster-Carr, but I won't end up with a hundred o-rings per pack that I'll never use in a lifetime, plus, as you mentioned, the greater heat resistance.

Did a few minutes of web research on color coding of o-rings. There is no concerted effort by manufacturers to standardize color coating (PTFE or Teflon) by o-ring composition.

http://www.darcoid.com/html/color-faqs.html

Oh, other than ones you mentioned, I've got red o-rings that seal the bottom of each cylinder on the underside of the cylinder block.

Last edited:
Yes, those big rings for the cylinders come in red, even the Athena kit ones.

I just want to report that as 5twins suggested, the McMaster Carr part number #9464K133, 3/32" wide x 1 13/16" I.D. $5.64 for a 10 pack in Viton, is a PERFECT replacement for the points/advance housing O rings. I got mine today and they are an almost exact replacement, in fact they are just a hair thicker material which makes for a even better seal that the factory part. The housing still seats fully against the motor and my leak has been solved. Thanks again 5twins!!!

Offer your eight spares in the classifieds. I'll get a couple.

Thanks for posting on the fit. I'll have to add a pack of those to my next McMaster-Carr order for my stash.

Back