After rear drum brake shoe change, yaw in rear wheel?

porpoiseater

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, New to this excellent and informative site and I have a legitimate question to ask meow. I just replaced the brake shoes on my 75 xs. Per normal, I spun the tire after getting everything mounted up and tight per manual. I operated my brake with my hand while watching the axle. It stopped the wheel from spinning but yawed the axle back a half inch or so when it locked up. After a second I realized I was spinning the wheel backwards, and tried the same manuver while spinning the tire forward, to which there is no yaw or twist. So, doesn't yaw when I brake going forward but I don't think yawing any direction is normal. Yes, I've tightened the axle...and everything else to spec.To much beer? What have I missed? Thanks for your time

the axle needs to be tightened to 108 ft/lbs. it will not move once it is that tight. well, if it does move while properly torqued, you have severely worn wheel bearings.

Or he managed to get the LH adjuster in upside down. keeping the nut from tensioning the whole assembly.

Back