Aftermarket Clutch Lever Problems

MiniDanzig

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Am i missing something here? I have an aftermarket harley style clutch lever for 1" bars that i've seen on tons of bikes and cannot seem to get it adjusted properly.

this is the kind i have:
!Br!LCWwCGk~$(KGrHqQH-DIEvB95U86KBL)1JHoeLg~~_35.jpg

there is no adjustment on the lever itself, but to take up the slack i've threaded in the adjuster from the stock lever. Then adjusted the worm gear as per manual instructions and the clutch simply does not engage. is it possible that there just is not enough travel in a lever like this to engage the XS clutch? Any ideas on something to try or am i just out of luck? :banghead:

ok so i may have figured something else out. my estimation for the clutch not engaging was that in 1st gear, engine off, lever pulled in, the bike would not roll freely. i have since read that this can be common with these clutches especially when cold.

gonna throw it on the jack, just to be safe, and see what happens with the motor running. fingers crossed hah.

This happened to me. It has to do with the length of the cable and adjusting the clutch worm gear. There is a tutorial on here for adjusting the clutch. I ended up taking out the little stud screw because I guess my worm gear setup was worn out I guess. I took it to ace and matched it up to bolt with the same thread, but 2.5x as long. You can kind of see it sticking out in this picture:

xs650-chop-DSC_8954-587x433.jpg

Anyhow, the longer bolt allowed me to adjust it further and it worked out great. Granted I had a bolt sticking out all the time. I am sure I could have gone back to get one that was the right size, but I never cared as it never got in the way.

Not sure if that will help, but I hope so.

Btw. This year. I am coming to sleep on your floor. Be ready. Brooklyn Invitational :cheers:

So good news, i am just a dummy. Took my first rip around the neighborhood and everything went well. i was just assuming (incorrectly) that it should be rolling easier with the clutch pulled in gear. nothing fell off so some minor tweaks and i'm in business.

and yea man if you need a place to crash let me know. the show is few blocks from my place.

Back