Air Box Boot

MrYeats

MrYeats
Reaction score
I recently installed stock airboxes on my TX650. In between the boxes is a rubber boot.
My question is "How critical is it that the boot be secured air tight to the metal"?
I fabricated one from inner tube rubber and firmly secured it to one side. I cannot get my paws in there to secure the other side. The rubber fits over the metal but not snug and tight. Part #13 on the diagram.

Attachments

• 650AB_intake.pdf
    38.7 KB · Views: 169
I am not sure. I am in the process of trying to get mine back together. I recently started my project bike a few months ago and got to the carbs and am having trouble getting the airbox back on. Would you know or have source for pictorial instructions to put them back in? Just looking at it I can't see how they secure in there. I would, but hate to start another thread for a simple problem.

That boot is outside of the filtered air if you use the 76-79 filters. (I suggest those filters for the 74-75 anyways) So it isn't that big of deal if it isn't tight.

I am not sure. I am in the process of trying to get mine back together. I recently started my project bike a few months ago and got to the carbs and am having trouble getting the airbox back on. Would you know or have source for pictorial instructions to put them back in? Just looking at it I can't see how they secure in there. I would, but hate to start another thread for a simple problem.

Hi stranger and welcome,
fighting with airbox installation is why I switched my bike to UNIpods.
But as to sealing the connector, I don't think it matters.
The connector between the two oval holes is there so that each carb can breathe in through both airboxes.
They'd also get that airflow and more if the connector wasn't there, so long as the big oval hole was still there.

Thestranger, your box should be the 2 plastic pieces with a white plastic connector that fits inside of the 2 halves. I'm assuming you have the BS34's, correct for your year bike, not the BS38's on MrYeats.

I'm using the 34's on my bike, with the plastic air boxes. I had a heck of a time getting things together, until I modified the boxes. I trimmed about an 1/8 to maybe 3/16 of an inch from the end that connects to the carbs. I first removed the rubber that seals the box to the carb, then did the trimming, and then put it back on. It seems that little bit of extra space made the job a lot easier.

Couple of "tricks" This is for any BS34 Special but the process is similar on the earlier airboxes also. Remove covers and filters from the boxes.
Loosen the remaining bolt in the front battery box brackets, the ones just aft of the tank under the seat. Put one airbox boot on the carb. Get it more or less where it belongs with the box angled out a bit at the rear, don't bolt it yet. Lube the center nylon tube and o-rings with a bit of grease or silicone lube, push it in one airbox. Put the other side on it's carb boot, now work them both towards the center at about the same time. you can reach inside one box and "aim" the tube towards the other box' hole. Sometimes you need to lever between the front of the battery box and the air box a bit so it will slide in. Now work both boxes into their final resting place and install the bolts. Install the bolt up top through the bracket first, this is the hardest one, a thin screw driver helps align the holes. One of these days I am going to find some "just right" 6mm body bolts with pointed ends for that spot so they go in easier. install the rest of the bolts and tighten them all. See if that helps

Back