Air filter touches frame on left side.

Frank47

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMG_1250.jpeg

Anybody got ideas for smaller one for street tracker? Or maybe one that’s offset just a little? Manifolds being replaced & would like to solve this at same time.

View attachment 251222
Anybody got ideas for smaller one for street tracker? Or maybe one that’s offset just a little? Manifolds being replaced & would like to solve this at same time.

My Oval K&N filters did the same thing on Taffy. I always worried they were not fully sealing on the carb intakes.
I switched to UNI Pods and problem solved. Also the bike ran much better.

IMG_0141.JPEG

IMG_0141.2.JPEG

Yes, if you want the best working pod, get the straight foam UNI. I started out with K&Ns just like yours but could never get the carbs tuned right. It turns out these CV carbs don't like a pleated type filter. The pleats cause turbulence in the air flow and the slides depend on a smooth flow of air to lift properly. They also don't like a tapered filter so that's another strike against the ones you have.

The usual UNI for the BS38 is the 4" long UP-4200 (or UP-4200ST dual layer). If you think the 4" long filter will have issues with hitting the frame, UNI does make and angled version, the UP-4200AST .....

https://unifilter.com/online-catalog/clamp-on-air-filters/

I should also mention that there's no need for the special foam filter oil and , in fact, you don't want to use it because it's too thick and may clog the filters. Instead, just use a simple 50-50 mix of gas and motor oil. I bought a bottle of the cheap Walmart brand straight 30wt. especially for this .....

UNIsOiled.jpg

I should also mention that there's no need for the special foam filter oil and , in fact, you don't want to use it because it's too thick and may clog the filters. Instead, just use a simple 50-50 mix of gas and motor oil. I bought a bottle of the cheap Walmart brand straight 30wt. especially for this .....

View attachment 251232
That’s what I use.

Back