So close... leftover parts match

Shelby

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well into the reassembly stage. Just put the rear wheel back on, though it's not all battened down yet. Pretty sure it'll have to come off or at least shift to final the rear break linkage. Just making sure I know where everything goes right now. Inventory to see what's unaccounted for. Identifiable parts still on the pool table include the tank, petcock feed, seat bumpers, the side covers, along with oil filters and gaskets for a fresh oil change when we're done. And this (smaller than expected) handful of whatisits.

Top: I think these two are the spacers I couldn't find that position the back side of the left hand air cleaner element box. Couple spare spacers off a TV wall mount currently in use. Will swap them out if that's correct -- can't find a clear pic of what should be there anywhere. Cut off on the backside of the "Intake" diagrams. Both 7.5 interior diameter, threaded collars, one 21.15 MM tall, the other 5.35 mm (App measurements -- caliper's not agreeing with itself 2 out of 3 tries

Middle: MIGHT be supposed to set at either end of the rear brake mount jigsaw puzzle? app 3.75 mm interior diameter. TINY as motorcycle parts go.

One extra bolt and same size/thread oddly specific square nut. 10mm socket size bolt head, 5.55 mm diameter bolt, 22.22 mm length, 11.3 mm sq nut with tiny little fingers at the corners, as if to position something -- like I left it off the end of a spring?

1711910366593.png

The first one looks like a spacer sleeve that inserts into one of the rubber grommets. A bolt then goes through it and the sleeve keeps the grommet from being pinched too tight. The second couple items just look like a standard M6 nut and lock washer, could go anywhere as they are used all over the bike, lol. The very last item, that square nut, looks like the type that is tack welded (on the 4 corners) to the frame in many places, and has obviously broken off.

The first one looks like a spacer sleeve that inserts into one of the rubber grommets. A bolt then goes through it and the sleeve keeps the grommet from being pinched too tight. The second couple items just look like a standard M6 nut and lock washer, could go anywhere as they are used all over the bike, lol. The very last item, that square nut, looks like the type that is tack welded (on the 4 corners) to the frame in many places, and has obviously broken off.
Thanks much. I looked at a lot of pictures trying to figure out where I left something out. Bill says, "Well, they're likely off a bike. Doesn't mean it's this bike." Which has some merit considering there have been several others thru the years... the odd nut showed up on the bottom of a magnetic socket tray.

As to the square nut . As 5t says, they are tacked on in a few places on the bike. One that comes to mind is on the insde of the swingarm for the rear chain guard guard mount. Just a guess. Good luck.

Bottom left, the bolt.... unless you reversed the image, it's left hand threads.
Ack. You're right. I think it's mirrored. I was using my computer's camera, and it's set up for ZOOM. That turned out to be the one thing I hadn't bolted back on yet -- the tank bolt.
As to the square nut . As 5t says, they are tacked on in a few places on the bike. One that comes to mind is on the inside of the swingarm for the rear chain guard guard mount. Just a guess. Good luck.
Chainguard -- that makes perfect sense. I thought I remembered needing two box ends to get the chain guard off, but not putting it back. Any of the three times I re-did that damn thing. I'm a leave it alone now, cause the wheel's back on, with the chain tensioner adjusted and neither sidewall rubbing the frame. I did use the crimp/lock washer on the chain guard (hence the third reinstall).

The two collar/spacers -- they are indeed the air filter box spacers, though they're a left and right unmatched set. Replaced the near-side box because it had been screwed together with no spacer and the molded plastic loop that sticks out to the back was cranked flat and smashed. That's where I'd added the nylon bushing spacers putting the new one on. Longer collar/spacer went on that side, shorter on the off-side (Had a fender washer on the off-side, nylon bushings for a spacers plus a fender washer on the near side). Note, though, that there WAS no spacer on the near side when she came off the trailer, hence the original box being broken. My guess? The missing spacer fell out of wherever it was stuck for the last 20 years, and we found it in the sweep-and-sort clean up. I remember being a tad surprised to find any parts, since I'd worked had to get everything sorted as to where it went coming off. Maybe fell out whenever it was lodged when I pulled the exhaust? I really wish I'd got a good pic of Bill's face when I walked into the living room with half the exhaust system in each hand. Bill: "That's your idea of puttering in the garage for a few?"

Last edited:
Thanks much. I looked at a lot of pictures trying to figure out where I left something out. Bill says, "Well, they're likely off a bike. Doesn't mean it's this bike." Which has some merit considering there have been several others thru the years... the odd nut showed up on the bottom of a magnetic socket tray.
And NOW of course there's a note says "there are more rep[lies to this thread. Do you want to see them? -- JetMechMarty's wonderful pictures. WHY did it hide those from me?

1711989243164.png
1711989022751.png
1711988958841.png
1711989054084.png
1711989202220.png

Not quite as done as she looks (you can see the new fuel line's not attached to the petcock yet). Going to need to adjust the seat cover one she's got a few miles on her. Had to drop the seat on the concrete floor front end first a few times to gently mold the curve to slide over the tank -- she came out about an inch to lofty. The right side turn indicators aren't working, so something in the wiring under the seat's not plugged back in right. Makes a weird humming sound when I flip it on. But we're getting closer. :D

Attachments

• 1711988993234.png
    1711988993234.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 13
Back