Aircraft look on tank

Yeah it looks dark in the pic, but when the sun hits it, its wild! Aluminum is easier to polish, and the powder doesn't change the color of the aluminum like it does with steel. With steel it leaves it a tad darker, like a wet look. So what you see is what you get when you do aluminum.

@TeeCat, clear powder is extremely common, i like to use it over almost every base coat, as most coaters do. it would boggle the mind how many different colors, textures, opacity, flake, metallics, etc., there are in powder.

Justin, would there be any problem powder coating over paint? I would like the nose art pinup to be under the powder coat. Would I need to use an engine enamel type paint to withstand the temp of powder coating?

That's a no go, you'll have to lay your powder first. After that, do your art, and then seal it all up under some decent liquid clear. There aren't really any paints that will hold up to the cure schedule of powder. The lowest temp clear I know of is 325* for 10 minutes.

There are some enamel based paints that will hold up to it for doing small air brush logos, or details, but there's no real science to it, it's a bit of a crap shoot. And lighter colors will often change.

Back