Aligning chain and rear wheel??

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I noticed that my chain vibrates alot when i look down when riding and decided to cheak my chain tension,it was bang on 3/4" with me on bike,cheaked the linement marks on rear and both the same.Note this bike has a new chain and gears front and rear,have had front sprocket off before and it has the correct bolt and single shim and is torqued properly.I decided to pick up a chain alignment tool( the rod type) popped off the chain guard and attached it to rear sprock amd noticed the chain alignment was way off so adjusted everything to line up rod and chain and proper tension.Now when i check the alignment marks there way off by 1 full marker or approx 1/4". Is that possible on thease old bikes or could something else be wrong.Dont want to wear the new chain and sprockets prematurely alought ive already put 2000 miles on it since.I have the 520 chain and sprockets if this matters.Thx for any advise

I was wondering if the 520 sprockets from Mikes could possibly be different thickness than stock ,only thing i can come with but dont have originals to compare,anyone notice any difference in thickness from new 520 sprockets vs stock from mikes.Would i be better to just use the alignment marks or go by chain alignment only.Thx

Wheel alignment is now part of UK MOT test (anything to get bikes off the road) and when my xs was tested they were out of alignment even though the adjusters were on the same mark on the swinging arm. Now the marks don't line up but the wheels are aligned, about 1/4" is about what mine is out

Hope this helps

Martin

Thx for feedback,just cheaked Mikes site and noticed that the 520 front sprocket needs a spacer,I am pretty sure that mine had the raised section in the middle and therefore no spacer was needed,maybe they changed the suppliers,mines about 3 years old now.
Could someone advise if the raised section of the front sprocket is suppost to be facing in or out.That could possibly account for some difference in sprocket alignment.I am going to have to pull the cover to look as i cant remember what the set up was.

The spacer or raised center on a 520 front sprocket should be on the outside, unless the rear 520 sprocket was spaced out from its mounts.

I was wondering if the 520 sprockets from Mikes could possibly be different thickness than stock ,only thing i can come with but don't have originals to compare,anyone notice any difference in thickness from new 520 sprockets vs stock from mikes.Would i be better to just use the alignment marks or go by chain alignment only.Thx

Hi XS650D,
well, duh, yeah. It's all in the numbers.
530 sprockets are 3/8" thick and 520 sprockets are 1/4" thick.
But as both the front and rear 520 sprockets bolt up to the same location faces as the 530 sprockets did the different sprocket thicknesses don't affect the wheel alignment.
And never mind the chisel marks, go with the chain alignment.

Wheel alignment is now part of UK MOT test (anything to get bikes off the road)

...or to protect owners from themselves?

Is it unreasonable to ensure that machinery operated in public places are properly maintained and safe?

Also, in what seems to me a daft idea, is that pre 1960 bike no longer need to have an annual check.
I guess (hope?) that the majority of owners of older bike do maintain them there but will always be the morons, incompetents or unskilled that don't.

A note on sprockets, I'm using a RD400C rear hub on my build and going to a 520 chain. Just had an aluminium sprocket made which came in at over two pounds lighter that the OE jobbie.
My gob was well and truly smacked.

I agree, but this part of the test only came in October 2014 and you have to ask yourself why?
If your frame has a touch of the bananas, then get get it fixed, but just move your rear wheel slightly off centre and run a straight edge to your front wheel, allowing for tyre width you will see a it only takes a little to show up as out of alignment. Check the MOT forums and you will get no sense from the testers. Ranges from 100% perfect to "about 1 inch" can be allowed. I doubt very much, unless you are a GP track rider that you would notice when riding. Like I said another big stick to hit us with

I agree, but this part of the test only came in October 2014 and you have to ask yourself why?

Because there are plonkers out there that will happily ride bikes with bald tyres, knackered brakes and bearings etc. etc. without a care as to their own safety and that of others.

If your frame has a touch of the bananas, then get it fixed, but just move your rear wheel slightly off centre and run a straight edge to your front wheel, allowing for tyre width you will see a it only takes a little to show up as out of alignment.

As far as the MoT is concerned it is OK for wheels to have radial misalignment but the axis should be parallel.

My V Max (and indeed most [all?] shaft driven bikes have a radial offset and I have never read of an MoT failure on the V Max forums due to this.

What is not allowed is radial AND axial misalignment which would be more likely on a chain driven wheel or where the frame has been bent.
See this which illustrates what is OK and what isn't. To my simple mind it seems unambiguous.

Whilst some testers can be questionable in their interpretation or understanding of the standards that has not been my experience over the years. The rare failure my machines have had were justified.

After aligning my chain i noticed a the chain no longer shakes like crazy when going down the hwy also a side benefit that i dident expect was i dont have that front end side to side shimmy i had before that i couldent seem to completely dial out.Definately was worth getting the alignment tool.The bikes just that much better now.I dont think i have ever done so much tuning and adjusting on a bike before this old 650 but it sure is nice when everything is workin rite!!

Back