All balls steering stem bearings

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Once i get my triple trees sorted out, i'm going to swap the later model 35mm trees on an earlier model tx650. It's a 73.
I know about the different neck lengths so i'm going have to shorten up the later model stem. There's a thread on chopcult about how to do this.
My question is do i buy the tapered bearings for the 73 TX neck or for the later model trees?
Maybe they are the same size. Anybody know?

According to MikesXS they are. They sell only one set of bearings and they supposedly fit '70 to '84.

Wouldn't mind seeing the thread on Chopcult if you have the link. I went through this a few years back.

Cut the stem shorter at the bottom and welded it back into the lower tree. Then discovered the bearing seating area at the bottom was now effectively in the lower tree and the stem narrowed a bit above. So we had to weld on extra material and turn the stem on a lathe to mate with the bearing.

Wondering if they discuss this or if there is another method (i.e. shortening from the top and re-threading?)

What you said Tim won't work because the ridge on the top of the stem has to be about a half inch lower as well for the bearing race to seat. Maybe you don't need the ridge for the newer roller bearings. I don't know.

I was more or less joking about cutting the top down and threading - it would be a pain in the ass.

But that being said, I don't think there's anything on the stem itself to prevent the top bearing (the race is in the frame) from sliding down past where it needs to be. That's what you want, as the bearing seats in the race and the tension you place on it by tightening the lock nuts is what ensures a lack of play in the steering etc.

I think you can actually use the 35mm trees as-is, but you'd need a spacer under the lock nuts (if I recall) as the threads don't go down far enough. You end up with a lot of extra room below the top tree however.

Ya, that's what the guy on chopcult was saying. He didn't like the look of using spacers. Thought it would be half assed looking.
Might go your route.

Back