All keys to bike were misplaced. Options?

Sammo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just have my bike sitting in the garage right now making me not happy hahah. What options if any other than replacing the ignition

Take the switch assy to a locksmith for a replacement key.

If you can get the key/lock number, there are sellers on eBay with some N.O.S. pre-cut keys. You just might get lucky and they'll have yours. There should be a foil sticker on the bottom of the ignition switch with the number on it.

edwSjrp.jpg

My locksmith can cut a key, at their place, on one of their blanks, when they have that number from the ignition. They charge about $10 more than just making a copy. So, about $14 - $15. But, this is the most motorcycle friendly locksmith that I have ever found, a very rare thing to find.

Scott

If the locks are still matched, the ignition, seat lock, or gas cap lock CAN be removed, have one along so the locksmith has something to work with, it's a pain but can be done without damage.

I agree with 5twins and gggGary. Check the lock numbers to see if they match (not a big deal if they don't), and look on eBay first. That's how I got a replacement key. Shipping was more than the key itself, but it saved me some work and running around...

These locks don't have pins in them, they use sliding plates called wafers. The ignition, seat/helmet, and fork locks are the most secure, using 5 wafers. The gas cap lock is the least secure, using only 3 wafers. So, don't take a gas cap lock to the locksmith, the resulting key probably won't operate the other locks because it will be missing 2 cuts.

If you aren't worried about the bike being stolen because of it, you can just disassemble the locks so that any key will turn them. Might be simpler to just get a key though. I seem to remember the helmet lock at least is a problem to remove if it isn't opened.

Any key that will fit into the lock that is. The problem is Yamaha used about 6 different key blanks. Some offset left, some right, some have grooves down the sides, some don't.

Back