Almost had it!!

10dollarXS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new owner of an 1981 xs650 and i cant seem to get the bike running. I bought it for $10. The last time it ran was 7 years ago. Fresh gas, cleaned carbs, new plugs, new battery and it has a starter. Whenever I use the e-start it makes a crazy grinding noise and it seems like the thing is going to fall apart. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Go to the tech section read up on "I just bought an Xs650 now what? There are a couple of cures for the starter grinding, all involve "some" work a few are "no cost"
Like my wife says "There is no such thing as a free horse."

OK you bought a bike for $10 and it last ran 7 years ago and you've almost had it??
I bought a running bike in great condition and it's been on the lift more than on the road. Mine is an 81 as well, but you have to keep in mind the bike is now 32 years old, and probably has a lot of issues. Most likely you don't have a spark from some electrical issue, or it's something else. Can you kick the bike and start it?
If you do get sick of it, I'll give you $20 for it. Double your money.

You know, a couple of these guys who replied to your post have been thru an old bike or two. Just sayin.

After you blow the top end off it, I'll give you 50 bucks for it, if you throw in the rest of the can of ether.

For $10 dollars the bike doesn't owe you anything. You have to put some blood sweat and tears into it. Then it will be worth it.

Try kicking that bitch like a man instead of relying on a starter button....

Also there is a lot of information on a fix for the Beidix gear on the starter motor. Try teh Tech Section. It will be your best friend...

Try kicking that bike like a man instead of being bitch, relying on a starter button....

Fixed.

Just kidding though. Kicking seems to be a better way to get an old bike running. If it starts fine kicking, then you know its a starter issue.

You can kick that bitch til you leg's a noodle, but if the battery ain't got no ass, you ain't got no fire. Check your battery out FIRST!

If it has spark and the starter won't, a hill and bump starting. If it 's going to run that will do it. If nothing else pushing that pig back up the hill a time or two will sharpen your troubleshooting skills.

Well guys turns out my coil is bad. Started college and have no money so my build is unfortunately going to have to be put on hold. :( Once built i'll post some pics if i'm still alive...

Fuck it, had a huge rant, decided he doesn't give a shit, and so good luck with life giving up on every $10+ project that might take a little work. :banghead:

10dollarxs, I know you said you cleaned the carbs but...... you won't be the first only lonely ranger that has had them off on the bench in pieces swearing the whole time.
Several times.
These carbs seem to have have itty bitty holes that get fuzzy quickly.
Most compliants come from the pilot jet circuit, idles poorly, coughs and backfires, or just won't start period.
Sometimes it is just gummed at the mix screw end. Sometimes all the meterig holes are blocked.
I ride kinda regular and try to buy good fuel and still pull the pj's for a blow job once or twice a year.
On your grinding starter it is the "number 4 gear clip spring" that weakens and needs retensioning. Using the e-start also robs the ignition. Use the kick starter.

@atomic22, my last post was honest and sarcastic at the same time. It wasn't supposed to cause rage in any certain individual.

Wow. If a 10 dollar motorcycle is that rough on you, you better hang on to your hat when you get ready for that degree to pay off! It's gonna get a "little" tougher!

Dennis Leary said: Life Sucks! Wear a fukin helmet!

So, what does a coil have to do with starter noise? I guess the previous owner trashed the starter trying to start it with a dead coil?

Being a first timer, I thought it my have been the starter but upon furthur investigation I found out it was not getting enough spark.

Back