Amon Amarth's bobber brat thingy "build" ?

AmonAmarth

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

New guy here. When i say new i mean new to XS650.com and new to building bikes (if you want to call it building. i prefer to call it rearranging parts and pieces).

So where to begin? Well I'm from NE Ohio and ive only ridden supermotards and dual sports. I sold my 2012 Wr450f so i could buy/build an XS650 brat/bobber/thing. Now i have a good idea of what its going to look like, but I'm not sure what it would be considered.

Anyways , the plan is :

Get it running
HHB PMA
PAMCO Ignition (E advancer)
Cleaned up frame
Cleaned up Forks
Cleaned up wiring
VI Brat Kit (Hardtails look so much better. But I've been on a supermoto my whole riding career. i need suspension!)
Frisco style tank
Medium rise bars
Everything will be black/ Dull finish .
Have a few surprises planned as far as paint goes
Small black speedo (need help finding)
Side mounted tac (probably not)
Tiny 1 LED front/rear indicators
1 clip on bar mirror

Enough text. Here is my 1982 XS650 the day i brought it home :

IMG_20140621_223734_385_zpsa6132e47.jpg

What you see is what i got. except the trailer , that was a rental . Basically what was left of the bike and an extra set of mag wheels. Now the bike has spoked wheels on it , disc front /drum rear. I was planing on swapping out the rear so i could get the disc brake, but i decided future black powder-coated spokes are better than a disc brake anyways:thumbsup:

So after tearing into it a little bit, and going through the box of parts , I realized that i didnt have an ignition unit , or points system. No problem! I wanted to buy a PAMCO Ignition (along with some other goodies) anyways so that's the first thing i did.

IMG_20140627_141128_013_zpse92db4c9.jpg

Wiring harnes, E advancer , Pamco 60 degree ignition

So after installing it (thanks to XSLeo for the helpful information!!!) and wiring in my 90 degree resistor caps i got from Low Brow Customs , i was able to get it to spark.

Here is my "testing setup:"
IMG_20140627_204400_501_zps7d98ccac.jpg

Ill try to upload a wiring diagram later ^

The next day after going through some ether , on about the 4th kick the bike kicked back very hard, somehow managing to make the kick starter not return! WTF. I thought i was going to have to buy a bunch of parts, or that the anchor had broken . luckily all was well. and it was fixed in minutes.

IMG_20140628_151946_541_zps626f9cff.jpg

Apparently the kick back knocked the sprig off the anchor, either that or the previous owner did not install it correctly. (and yes that is silicone on my finger. the guy thought it would be a good idea to use it instead of gaskets) :doh:

After taking the side cover off, i decided id better get some gaskets. So i took off the valve covers , side covers , oil sump filter, and oil filter.

The sump filter had a gasket, which means the PO didnt bother to change or check it. (just guessing because of the lack of silicone ).

IMG_20140629_205220_539_zps666926ae.jpg

and after it was all cleaned up :

IMG_20140629_214311_434_zpsca33149b.jpg

He used a liquid gasket on the valve covers :
IMG_20140629_215348_868_zpsdf8d1bce.jpg

^ here you can see my new red and black wires from Low Brow Customs!

I cleaned all those covers. 2 out of the 4 covers had the o ring that was needed. How ever they felt like plastic because they where so old. Ordered 4 new rings, filters and gaskets. Should be here in a couple days and ill report back.

Here is how she sits as she waits for parts

IMG_20140701_183638_108_zps5c5dddbe.jpg

Amon Amarth :devil:

Update:

Well I received what the parts i was waiting for :

IMG_20140703_143300_819_zps920327b8.jpg

Gaskets, filters, o-rings, and a Clymer manual .

I installed everything , gave it a few kicks, then decided to clean the carbs .

This is the only picture i got. But its safe to say everything else in the carbs was this gunked up. Top is after cleaning, bottom is how it was before cleaning .

IMG_20140703_215111_337_zpsf8589175.jpg

after the cleaning i installed them on the bike , put in fresh Rotella , and got ready to kick her over.

Got her started for about 10 seconds :thumbsup: then she died. Im pretty sure she will run for good now . After a few more kicks , My kickstart failed to return . Ok, the spring must have come off again.

NOPE.

IMG_20140706_115909_963_zps467afa13.jpg

The whole fucking shaft broke.

that set me back a few days. Finally i found a place that had a few . Rubber City Vintage Cycles in Akron. Went there, got my part, got to talk to the head mechanic , viewed there shop and its safe to say i will definitely be doing business with them again.

Installed it in the bike

IMG_20140706_115919_156_zps5e5642e1.jpg

Made a new "gas tank" because the old one created a vacuum which didnt allow the carbs to get gas

IMG_20140706_115746_845_zpsed06cea2.jpg

put the side cover back on , the kickstarter would not return . took it off, re installed the kickstarter , then the cover. and it wouldnt return. Okay, maybe the spring is worn on this unit. so i replaced the springs using my old kickstart assembly. installed it , checked to make sure it worked and put on the side cover. the damn thing would not work again. So i oiled the shaft, becuase it was getting hung up. put it all back together and still, once the side cover went on it would not work. So i put the side cover on using one bolt, moved the kickstarter counter clockwise and it got stuck. i slowly backed out the bolt in the side cover and the kickstarter shot forward. the cover is cracked, and it must be tweaked enough that it is holding the kickstarter from returning.

551c1c5a-43f7-4fbc-95e8-7f8b6402f99d_zpsaff83b9f.jpg

I guess its back to Rubber City Vintage Cycles to see if they have the cover i need. :banghead:

Amon Amarth

Last edited:
Back