AN-3 brake lines

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone could confirm for me that the female ends of AN-3 brake lines (like Goodridge or Russell) that the female end itself turns, line a nut, and that THAT is what you tighten to fasten your banjos?
(rather than having "fixed" female ends, where you'd just turn/wind the banjo in?)

Reason I ask is I want to be very VERY sure that if I'm going to pop almost $40 for a 20" rear brake line that I am able to adjust what angle the banjo's end up at, so the brake line goes on easy, rather than having a twist to it so you have to wrestle it on. I definitely don't want that.

I'm going to need a 90 deg at one end and a 35 at the caliper end and I just want to be sure that I can choose at what position to have the banjos in, rather than just having them end up in whatever position a fixed end thread ends/tightens.

I had a line made a couple years ago at a hose place here in town, and its a nice line, but the female ends are "fixed" - they don't turn like a nut. So I don't want that kind.

I guess I want to order a line from JP Cycles. The descriptions I'm reading say that you choose whatever "end" (banjo or fitting) you want, but it doesn't specify if the female end is adjustable, or what.

:)
thanks!

lol, sorry, never mind...I just read a description that says the ends do swivel. Cool! Now I just have to wrap my brain around the idea of $50 plus shipping. I think I'm gonna go to the local place again, instead. Prolly end up half that much, or less.

I kind of want a rubber line!
Anti SS line backlash!
:)

yep, you got it! The biggest thing with all of the AN stuff is that the fitting you something buy (like the 90 degree end) is that they are way longer than you think at times. The -3 and -4 stuff isn't real bad, but when getting into the -6 and higher, they really stretch there end fitting out further than needed and its hard to keep a clean look. Also make sure (only suggestion this) that you get the line with outer clear coat on it. If you don't get the clear over outer, the braid will rub chrome/paint down to metal like steel wool. If the bare line look is what you want (its what I use on all my builds) then I just take a small peice of clear rubber hose and put around brake line and fasten with some safety wire at both ends to keep from moving.

Thanks for the tip re: putting a piece of clear hose to protect paint.
:) Found my line and fittings considerably cheaper on eBay. Let's see!

It depends what you searched for. Searching for 'AN-3 brake lines' will give no results because it's looking for a thread with all of those keywords. Try keeping your searches simple like 'brake lines' or just 'braided'. Either of those would have worked. Even 'brake line swivel' should have worked. If you search for something and get no results or no good ones, try removing a keyword or two. If you search for something and get too many results, try adding another keyword or two. :thumbsup:

i use them all the time on my bikes, you call them up tell them your ends you want and length/color ect and they usually ships next day even had them ship same day when i called in the morning.

- slothy, i liked that link so took the liberty of entering it in the shop section :thumbsup: the colour options are neat

I have 79 xs650 special. Want to put one piece braided line on front break. I think 30 inches is long enough. Ebay has brake lines you order. I'm thinking 30 inches and 90 degree twist with one flat banjo bolt and the other 45 degrees? I have emgo universal flat bars on it. Is it a 90 twist on line? and is the caliper end a 45 degree or 15 degree?

Back