An Estimator tool for buying/building a bike?

kent_in_kc

Heartlander
Reaction score
Here's the scenario:

1. I see a pretty good deal on a bike. I might want to buy it, fix it up or use it for a total new build. My objective is to sell it for a profit.

2. I need a way to quickly estimate how much I would have to spend to get the bike like I want it. I'm thinking a spreadsheet, maybe on Google Docs so others could use it too.

Has anyone already invented this wheel? It sounds like a lot of work to do it right.

I know you can quickly guesstimate from experience most common things like coils, bushings, bearings, etc. but you might also have to consider some not-so-common stuff.

You don't want to buy a bike and quickly find that it will cost far more to build it up than you'll ever get out of it. (Oh, wait! That happens all the time!)

Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Take my blindfold off, ARE YOU KIDDING? I would never buy a bike if I knew up front how much time and labor it would take. Just got a 79 to fire off today, only 8300 miles on her and so far sounds healthy now for the rest of the messin arround.

Easy, just write down everything you'll need and price it out on the internet. Then add 25%.

A list of XS650 parts would be very cool.

I just asked about building a hardtail and what parts I'd need and it's actually hard to put all the info together. IMHO

I think it's a cool idea...personally.

I just remember a quote a sociology teacher told me in college, "Humans are inherently lazy".

You have an uphill battle. But it would seem that Travis, INXS, and others have gathered a lot of the valuable information it just needs to be sorted and categorized. Then dropped into some lists and you can make a website out of it. I mean they have calculators on the web for everything...except bike building. A contract can give you a price to build a house...why not a bike. My wife and I built a custom home for a set price, and that is what our mortgage is now.

It would be cool to have a simple website, with drop downs for all the possible options and costs, to come up with a total price...then the 25% and the disappointingly obsessive human hours of joy that go into it.

Just my 2c's

Theres way to many small parts that need to be hand made and alot of labor that needs to be put in the bike that would be impossible for a computer to estimate because depending on your skill and available tools it could take forever
if you just want a parts cost come up with a list of everything you plan on changing...

Well, you couldn't go too nuts with it or you'd never finish it. I'm thinking the major stuff from Mike's and MMM and such. Sure, you'll make parts and scrounge some stuff from the hardware store but that's what the 25%-33% pad is for.

My kid wrecked her car. The adjuster comes to the house with an I-Pad kinda thing, uses his finger to check off needed parts while he looks it over, then prints out a check for the exact amount. That'd be cool.

If, for the sake of discussion, we had a Google spreadsheet that any of us could access from any computer/smart phone/tablet it could quickly help us figure whether a bike was worth buying or not. Also, for those that work on bikes for others, a quick way to price a repair job.

that would not be a bad tink to do when you go to buy one. Show the owner what it needs and the pricing and go from there.
I can see this working for a non running or a beater bike .

that would not be a bad tink to do when you go to buy one. Show the owner what it needs and the pricing and go from there.
I can see this working for a non running or a beater bike .

At the scene of a beater bike for sale: Uh I did the spreadsheet and it appears you will have to pay me $800.00 to haul away your bike.... But I am feeling exceptionally generous so give me $500 and I'll take it.

Gary's old bike rule; without a parts bike you can't afford to fix it.

Not specific to XS650's, but I always figure even a running beater will cost at least $500 to get on the road and be safe. Tires, brakes, fluids, filters, battery, chain and sprockets will easily run $500.

I just bought a '78 for $600 with a good engine, a title and pretty much all there. Everything that can wear out was worn out. And the wiring harness was fried. I'm doing a pretty good job of putting it back together, but I've spent around $800 so far. And the shocks and forks still need doing. Another $300 at least. I'd be happy to list all that I've spent if anyone is interested.

Just don't tell my wife!

I've got a 79' that I picked up running for 750. So far I've probably dumped about 1k into it, but that was also with buying tools that I've needed along the way. All together with the top-end rebuild I'm probably looking at 4-500. When it's all said and done I'll probably be in it at around 2500. If I had more skill I could have built my own tank and hardtail. Not to mention I'd be able to make a lot more custom stuff than I have. From what I've seen around here in KC I've seen a few completed bobbers go for 4-4.5k so as long as you can keep it in the 3k range you should still make a decent profit.

That being said I don't think the XS650 is really a bike you'd want to do for a profit unless you have a buyer before you start building it. I started doing this one as a gift for my dad, but I'll probably save up some more after I'm done and build another for myself.

If I kept track of what I spend on this kind of stuff it would take a lot of the fun out of it.
So I just keep track of the most expensive parts. Even tho I know all the little stuff adds up to alot.
But then I only have 150 in my xs at this point (and she was bitching at me for that).

I dont think I could have every imagined what it would cost me to build my bike. I have an understanding but for me at least it comes down to self control :laugh: I dont want to count it up, I just want to build it ride it for a few miles then change it up again

Back