Another 650 in the fleet

willyguzzi53

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Here I was all smug cause I hadn't bought a bike for a couple years and then up on Craigslist pops a stock TX650 just like the one I had in 1975. The next to the last thing I needed was another 650 and the last thing I needed was any kind of another motorcycle. Had to show it off. The PO, who I sorta knew, and I both think it has not been restored but is a 11,000 mile survivor. Runs and rides great if you don't jump right off of a Thruxton with engine balancers and silky controls. It's a keeper.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 180
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 149
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 168
Thanks. It's certainly not a 100 point machine but it's as nice or nicer than most and now I know it's not going to get hacked up. Got no problem with choppers and bobbers but cut up the late specials. There's a butt load of them around and IMHO they don't have the elegance of the Standards. In fact I'm building a '79 Special and it has lost the centerstand mounts, buddy peg mounts and some other tabs and brackets.

Nice find, congrats.

Here I was all smug cause I hadn't bought a bike for a couple years and then up on Craigslist pops a stock TX650 just like the one I had in 1975. The next to the last thing I needed was another 650 and the last thing I needed was any kind of another motorcycle. Had to show it off. The PO, who I sorta knew, and I both think it has not been restored but is a 11,000 mile survivor. Runs and rides great if you don't jump right off of a Thruxton with engine balancers and silky controls. It's a keeper.

i agree man, my 75 will be bobbed, but no big frame mods. shorter shocks, bare metal tank and side covers, single carb. my 74 is a a lot closer to stock and it will stay that way,

I would probably have bought a '72 a couple years ago on EBay but when I went to drop a bid with about 20 seconds to go I didn't realize I had forgotten to log in so by the time I got logged in and bid again it had already sold. Felt pretty stupid. My proxy bid was about $300 above the winning bid. Just as well. This one is nicer and matches the picture of me in '75 sitting on it's twin.

Back