Another fuel tank query

jaifresh

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi everyone!

before any one says it i have used the search function and cant come up with one firm answer.

so im up to cleaning out my fuel tank on my 81 special xs with vacuum petcock.

i want to use the vinegar method for cleaning out my tank tomorrow morning because it seems the easiest.

is this the correct procedure? :

fill tank with vinegar

leave for a day or two

pour out and fill tank with part bi carb soda and part water

leave for a bit

then flush out with water

dry thoroughly

fill with petrol

??

can i seal the tank after all this with por - 15? is por 15 even necessary?

cheers

Jai

so do i leave the old petcock in when using this stuff? i am switching to mikes xs replacement manual petcock.

No, you should take it off and plug the holes. Leaving it on may cause the POR 15 to form a thick coat that will fill in the holes causing you to have to clean them out somehow. It comes with really detailed instructions. If you do it properly plan on spending a good part of your day to do the process. A heat gun or blow dryer helps a bit if you have one(to get the tank completely dry for the last step). It involves a lot of shaking, rotating and let sit for 20 min at a time in many different positions, and waiting. Do it properly and you will be happy with the results.

its great stuff..Ive tried them all over the years, nothing works as well imo. Let it stand for a week to cure, dont be tempted to use before that!

Just used POR 15 for the first time last week, fairly simple and easy, really detailed instructions and worked shockingly well.

Thanks for the advice people!

While I'm on the subject. When i replace my petcock to the manual type, I have heard of people joining both carb barbs together with a piece of tube? My carb manifolds are old anyway so would it be better to go to a non barb manifold or buy new barb manifolds and block them off individually or join them together?

Hope that made sense

Cheers

Jai

Posted via Mobile

I just block both with a short length of tube with a 6mm bolt (smeared with sealant) threaded in..That way Ive got the option of running either fuel tank ;manual or vaccumn.

^It would be interesting to find out what Coleman uses as a tank liner for their stoves and lanterns. They hold gas and last for fifty years or more. Probably forever. Probably thinner than mc tanks to start with too. Use Coleman's research :)

Back