Another greenhorn...

elmachina

'77 XS650d stock
Reaction score
Good news everyone!
There is one more dude that is gonna be askin' a lot of questions here on the board...namely me. I've been a lurker here for a while now and after lots of research I pulled the trigger and picked up a '77 xs650 off CL a couple weeks ago. Its a non runner but it seems to be all original. It came with new tires and a bunch of extras, Clymer manual, front fender, side cover, rear light assy and a tank & 2 alloy wheels from the later heritage model i gather...All for $500.00! It has typical cosmetic issues for a 35 year old bike from Connecticut and a few obvious mechanical issues. The PO said he had it on the road a few years ago...I find that hard to believe after seeing condition of the tank and pulling the petcocks off the tank , finding the intake tubes rotted down to nubs and jammed with sludge... My plan is to keep her stock ,no bobbing, chopping or cafe-ing for me . I'm slowly taking care of the issues like de-rusting the tank , cleaning the carbs, cleaning and addressing the non working front brake, and getting a new battery before trying to start this old broad. I am going to try the electrolysis method to de-rust the tank and most likely use the por-15 to line it. New petcock, just one for now. The carb is going to just get a preliminary cleaning and I'll do the new fuel line with a filter set up. I've already cleaned and freed up the front master cylinder and will be filling/bleeding the line tomorrow. And the battery will probably be a cheapo job for now just to serve its purpose. I don't have any questions just yet, but any feedback is welcome. I have been riding for 15 years with 2 japanese bikes under my belt but this is my first bike thats going to need serious TLC to get running and road worthy. I chose this bike not only for its beauty , simplicity and size but also for the seemingly huge online availability of parts and resources. I thank you all in advance and I'll post some pix soon!
Much respect,
Rick

good find, bro! hope the motor fires for you.
Travis has a good battery charger derust thread. And as you prolly already found, you might as well just start with a basic pamco kit, just to get rid of the pionts(unless you like torcher)
'77? I think those are better left un-cut. I dont know why. Some one will shortly smack me around with the reason.
I have a 80 special that I chopped, but it was in peices, and one piston pin had freed itself from one side of the piston, turning the inside of my motor into a litter box of oily aluminum sand. I quick rebiuld with a different low mile crank assembly, and 1.5 over pistons, and its back on the road.
These motors are very easy to rebiuld, as long as you stick to the original design.

While you waiting for other things get done, start at one end of the bike and work to the other, inspecting, cleaning, tightening and a dab of dialectric grease on all the connections in the wiring harness.
This will take awhile but it will save you tons of grief later on.
Leo

You see, this is why I got on the xs train! Thanks a bunch guys for the tips. I've read about the pamco stuff and have heard nothing but good things. By the way how do you mean "torcher"? The carb guide is awesome and just in time, gonna pull those puppies off this afternoon! And the tip to tail inspection just makes sense , I just needed a reminder! Thanks again.

Back