Another newbie starting a project

Muneio

XS650 Argonaut
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I got the bug to rebuild an old bike don't know why just one of those things. After looking around and reading lots of posts here and on the SOHC/4 forums I've decided I want to go in the cafe direction. I ended up with a 81 XS650 that I rode home yesterday it ran great and was totally a fun ride except the brakes sucked big time! That will be an area of focus for sure. I have started tearing it down as I try to visualize how I want it to look. Trying to plan ahead so I can clean up the frame etc before PC. Will see what happens? Wish me luck.

DSC_1846.JPG

DSC_1847.JPG

DSC_1848.JPG

_DSC1849.JPG

_DSC1850.JPG

_DSC1851.JPG

_DSC1852.JPG

_DSC1853.JPG

_DSC1854.JPG

_DSC1855.JPG

_DSC1856.JPG

_DSC1857.JPG

_DSC1858.JPG

DSC_1859.JPG

DSC_1860.JPG

Keep basket
DSC_1861.JPG

Sell off basket
DSC_1862.JPG

I have an '81 that I'm keeping stock. I'll buy your head pipes from ya....

looks like a good project bill, ill keep track of your progress. whats the gauge i see on the right side of the motor towards the back side???

I was away for a few days and work has been getting in the way. But I've gotten it completely striped down now. So far it's been pretty straight forward and I'm hoping I remember how everything goes back together. Next is cutting all the extra bits off the frame and welding on the new bits before sending to PC.
_DSC1923.JPG

Running out of room
_DSC1924.JPG

Frame finally stripped clean
_DSC1925.JPG

Engine out
_DSC1926.JPG

Will be working on battery box and electronics placement next so I know what I need to modify on frame.

I ordered a seat from Roc City Cafe Racer and got a tank from a 75 XS650 on ebay, and I'm anxious to receive those. In the meantime I've been figuring out the logistics of moving the battery and electronics. Today I fabricated an aluminium tray under the seat to hold some of the electrics and cut the enormous hump off the tail end of the frame. Next I need to extend the frame from where I cut it off to hold the seat, battery and the rest of the electrics.

Seat on order:
CBRS2.jpg

My buddys tank from a 75 XS650 same as the one I'm getting from ebay:
_DSC1930.JPG

Tray I fabricated today:
_DSC1927.JPG

_DSC1928.JPG

_DSC1929.JPG

If you're used to riding beemers an xs must feel like a tin can on wheels. No wonder you thought the brakes suck.

If you're used to riding beemers an xs must feel like a tin can on wheels. No wonder you thought the brakes suck.

I ride both Beemers and an XS650. I'd have to say that my '81 XS's brakes actually require less effort to haul the bike down than those on my '76 BMW R90/6. Those old bikes with their under-the-tank master cylinder are not known for stopping well. Different story entirely though with my '88 R100RS -- it stops great.

Hey Muneio, I like what I see so far. Nice fab job, and I like the looks of your trimmed front fender. Got any more recent project pics?

how is the build going?

Hey Alfredo,
It's getting there. I've got the frame powdered coated, the rims painted and laced still need to true them and have been painting the engine and various other parts. Also put in new steering head bearings, wheel bearings, swing arm bushings, rebuilt calipers getting pretty close to re-assembly but need to order some parts such as fork tubes etc and have to wait until I have some money :(
P8250065.JPG

P8250066.JPG

P8250067.JPG

P8250068.JPG

how did you clean the engine before painting and what paint did you use? I was thinking of blasting my engine after its all together but thought it might ruin all the seals . . . . .

I soda blasted it then wiped down the bottom end with acetone because some oil dripped out. I primered it with VHT high temp primer #sp=118 and painted it with VHT #Sp-906 Barrel paint.

"VHT Barrel Spray Paint SP-905 Gloss Black &
SP-906 Satin Black is custom formulated to restore motorcycle engines to their original factory appearance.

It is extremely resistant to oil, gasoline and solvents and heat resistant to 550°F. Virtually stops rust and corrosion while resisting chipping, cracking and fading."

Got the paint from Caswell Plating

Back