ANOTHER question on VM34, help Id-ing a part

Norman1950

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long story short, had a pair of VM34s and trying as delicately as possible to get the float pin out, I ended up snapping a post off. I picked up some carbs from a guy and noticed that there is this extra brass fitting (circled in red). Is this just a vent tube? And can I bock it off?

(Yes I know the filter side is a little different, but have another one, just not pictured)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for all your help so far!

If it opens directly into the main bore then it's a vacuum tap. Yes, you can and should block it off or the carb will suck air and run lean. But ..... I would cap it with some sort of removable plug. That way, you can hook vacuum gauges or a manometer to the taps to sync the carbs.

If it opens directly into the main bore then it's a vacuum tap. Yes, you can and should block it off or the carb will suck air and run lean. But ..... I would cap it with some sort of removable plug. That way, you can hook vacuum gauges or a manometer to the taps to sync the carbs.

Awesome thank you for the info. Kind of my thoughts, but I am the farthest one to know much about carbs. Just know enough to get myself in trouble.

That looks like a oil injection fitting for a 2 stroke. Yes you should cap it as 5twins said.
From here it looks like a 38mm carb, but Illinois is a long way from Idaho:wink2:

Also for what its worth, the same thing happened to a friend's snowmobile carb many years ago. We repaired the float pin leg with JB Weld. It was still holding 5 years later when he sold the sled. It was before ethanol fuel though.

That looks like a oil injection fitting for a 2 stroke. Yes you should cap it as 5twins said.
From here it looks like a 38mm carb, but Illinois is a long way from Idaho:wink2:

Also for what its worth, the same thing happened to a friend's snowmobile carb many years ago. We repaired the float pin leg with JB Weld. It was still holding 5 years later when he sold the sled. It was before ethanol fuel though.

Thanks for the info. It did come from a Polaris xlt, so that would make sense on an oil fitting, but then again there is no oil around the fitting.

Back