Another right side backfire

MickFerreira

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought this 1983 XS650 and wasn't running right, the kid messed with jetting so I bought a TC Bros Mikuni setup pre-jetted. I am at sea level. I immediately got a right side exhaust backfire which at times ran back through the carburetor. I depressed the choke and it went away but the tight side plug fouled as it was running so rich. I went a step further and got the billet intake and new rubbers / clamps and it didn't change, still have backfire. I have an exhaust leak on the left side which I will fix.

I cant figure out why the pap-pap-pap pow ! sound even though I have new carbs and intake. I don't have points or timing on the 1983 model. Help ! I don't have enough experience with these bikes as I do with my Harleys.

Never, ever assume that installing a new carburetor is a bolt-on job. Strip, flush, list jets, and inspect fuel level--and if you have to adjust fuel level, do not, repeat not, move the tang on the float lever in a VM34--adjust the arms on the lever. A quick search will turn up the details for you, not gonna write it all out again. That having been said, ham-handed owners have been known to crank down hard enough on carb mount screws to extrude the edges of the holes in the cylinder head. If that happens a new mount with fresh gasket plus the toughest gumpucky you can lay hands on will not, repeat not, solve the problem; careful dressing with a fine flat file will (inspect the file before use; many flat files aren't). Be sure to eliminate compression, valve lash, and ignition problems. Sure, you have TCI, but a bad plug, cap, or wire can cause grief too.

Edit--wrote BS34, meant VM. Corrected.

Last edited:
How about checking the valve lash adjustment. If the bike was run hard and not maintained the intake valves may be tight. Borrow the right tools and spend a little time reading or watch a YouTube video and adjust em!

That was one of my first thoughts. Perhaps the valves are loose and allowing fuel past them during compression and detonation is happening in the exhaust. I used to adjust valves on Volkswagens and Porsches so it is pretty straight forward and easier that a car.

Attachments

• yamacarb.jpg
    yamacarb.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Yamaexhaust.jpg
    Yamaexhaust.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Yamafront.jpg
    Yamafront.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Yamaprofile.jpg
    Yamaprofile.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 137
So now I left a light on and killed the battery. I got a new battery and now it doesn't even start. I am going to take it to a shop that specializes in old Japanese kick Start only bikes. Took my 2012 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 600 to get the fuel system cleaned out after it had been stored 4 years with a tank of bad gas. Has only 1,138 miles and paid only $1,500 for it.

I am not sure what may have occurred since the battery died and it was running before but with a new battery now it does not. I zip tied the connections together when I removed them from the battery to ensure replacing them correctly. I cleaned the plugs.

The TCI has a built in "anti self destruct mechanism" shutting itself down when it does not receive a signal from the pickups after a set period of time. which should also protect the coil from burning itself out. But I'd be checking all my ignition components using the factory service manual.

Back