another victim of the sawzall...

Is this what you talking about ippy?
View attachment 52878

Yep that is the ones I was talking about. Mine was yellow but the connections are the same. I did miss type the connections though. They share the center connection so it would be positive from the ignition/kill switch and the two outer ones are the signal wire from the ignition (probably a Pamco for a rephase)

little bit to update...

i gutted the starter so i could discretely hide the capacitor. filled in the outside holes with jb weld high temp putty, sanded down and repainted the housing. made some connections inside and was able to retain the starter power bolt for a positive line. inserted a little foam to keep the capacitor from bouncing around too much.

040DCBC0-7514-4094-BD24-99A2935BFEFF_zpsu0gafoas.jpg

26D76910-C75A-4846-A55D-9E6539E7BC72_zpsuo2gazrf.jpg

27B1EAF0-AD0B-4017-98F5-965174FE8CB4_zpskgb0ltar.jpg

75A25BBB-344C-48C5-BBE2-494FBECD1B1E_zpshuf8rfib.jpg

also got the fender mounted. rolled some steel bar for a nice radius. it's also attached at the bottom end. the fender is an old front fender that i cut up. fits the narrow tire well.

E495B0BE-69A1-4DFF-AD94-8682AD56D305_zpspjhrocso.jpg

66107E86-5005-4D71-85A2-B45ADD310F74_zpszxxpf7tg.jpg

i feel like a friggin' mongoloid on this thing because of how much lower it is but the riding position feels comfortable. :thumbsup:

still need to cut about 3/4" out of the kick stand, mount the coils, figure out some switches, couple other odds and ends but otherwise gettin' close. hope to be riding soon.

Looks good Chef. I would rethink those seat springs. The angle when you are sitting on them doesn't jive. Maybe hairpins would work better there? I like the starter idea. Fuckin genius.

Looks good Chef. I would rethink those seat springs. The angle when you are sitting on them doesn't jive. Maybe hairpins would work better there? I like the starter idea. Fuckin genius.

i agree with you there. not sure how those springs are supposed to mount up. they just kind of flop around. i'll get somethin' fingered out... :thumbsup:

i might end up moving that seat crossbar back a little....

some updates...

lowered the seat cross bar.

78A35BBD-B9D8-4FEE-9B09-68A59135E2F0_zpshafsegx4.jpg

i've searched high and low for control switches that are subtle but haven't found much i liked. so.....

added a hi-off-lo switch to the back of my headlight.

D46A5080-A1C9-4387-B973-B9053E756424_zps5brqdhtc.jpg

00B41471-EC84-4B2F-A235-DCDE58307579_zpsmmuubdo8.jpg

B9E970BC-7DCC-4B94-99A6-F401ECD1AB20_zpsdyortfoa.jpg

and made my own turn signal switch...

used a piece of the old buckhorn bars. i knew i'd find a use for them someday!

5099F451-9E3B-44FF-B746-6FC276AAB329_zpsfpdbcwm3.jpg

A513EE85-889E-43C5-9ED9-41F0252733C0_zps6enfxwec.jpg

had to take a chunk out of the stock kickstand.

817B88D8-0394-4F0A-B382-5A6B63ACE9A4_zps9oytptks.jpg

29038EE8-AA45-4A09-9EF0-7AE638CF1DA4_zps9hkqtmht.jpg

as you've noticed i'm trying to keep all things electrical outta sight. so i dumped the green buoy coils for a unit that ippy suggested (thanks!).

17D46487-7DCA-4D7E-94DB-FB38AD496BE7_zpsi9ies3tk.jpg

also needed to hide the fuse block, kill switch and signal flasher...

DE8678D1-0253-46C5-AC28-31205352B92A_zpsmvlku4zc.jpg

EF521081-7603-427E-B079-1A7E8B58E934_zpsinympwpx.jpg

pretty much just some little things to finish. cables are ordered. need to finish mounting the rear fender. rear turn signals need to be mounted... i'm sure i'll find another dozen things to do. :laugh:

although it may seem you are protecting the coil from vibes, it needs to be directly mounted to the frame for some cooling. regulator is in a good spot. I love just love those tires. Ive got a new to me 1980 that just begs to be bratted.
engine looks fan-freakin-tastic. You didn't use theaded rod for the motor mounts did you? its a bad Idea. The teeth on the all thread will saw ride thru the motor.
I have not the patience to respoke a heritage. I spent 3 hours trying to figure out a rear 79 standard, but only 45 minutes on the front..After a few hundred miles, the spokes still 'ring', so, gold star for my first respoke. Love the build.
Also love that green on your daily. its like a army green, but greener, and shiny-er. You did keep the side covers from the chop to put on your daily, rite?
also, what exact switch did you use for your turns? I want to be as minimal as possible on my future brat. no boxes.

although it may seem you are protecting the coil from vibes, it needs to be directly mounted to the frame for some cooling. regulator is in a good spot. I love just love those tires. Ive got a new to me 1980 that just begs to be bratted.
engine looks fan-freakin-tastic. You didn't use theaded rod for the motor mounts did you? its a bad Idea. The teeth on the all thread will saw ride thru the motor.
I have not the patience to respoke a heritage. I spent 3 hours trying to figure out a rear 79 standard, but only 45 minutes on the front..After a few hundred miles, the spokes still 'ring', so, gold star for my first respoke. Love the build.
Also love that green on your daily. its like a army green, but greener, and shiny-er. You did keep the side covers from the chop to put on your daily, rite?
also, what exact switch did you use for your turns? I want to be as minimal as possible on my future brat. no boxes.

didn't think about the threads chewing into the engine case. what if i filled the threads with jb weld or filed them down? thanks for the compliments on the engine. wanted to take my time and do it right. it's been a great experience!

the green on the daily was just a can i picked up at the local tractor supply lol! hit it with a couple coats of clear. it was just kind of an 'in-between' paint job till i decide on what i wanted to do but the color has actually grown on me.

the switch for the turn signals is simply a mini toggle spdt on-off-on switch i picked up from ebay for a few bucks (like two for $8). same switch i used for the headlight. says its rated 125vac 6amps. 60watt bulb at 12vdc is a 5amp draw so i figure this switch can handle that. :shrug:

not sure how else to mount the coil. need more beer! :D

Hey deadchef your build looks fantastic, loving it !
Few. Questions:
That switch you are installing under the tank is it going to be your ignition on -off ?

And in your handle bar for your signal switch how did you cut it out to fit the square back? or did you just drill a big enough hole then put the backing and front plate on it ? And run your wires out the other side ?
I like the idea and was thinking about doing something similar on my project so all info will help
Thanks

Back