Another XS in the garage

Looks great! I like the lines so far. You just need to find the perfect tank to tie it all together.......

What tube roller are you using? I've been looking at some but haven't been able to make up my mind.

BTW, I love my Syncrowave 250, but I have a buddy looking at the Eastwood TIG. It looks like you may have one, how do you like it?

Oh, also at this point i think i'm making my own tank. And front end too. But we'll see what happens i guess.

I'm looking forward to seeing the tank! I think it would be perfect if you ran exposed backbone type tanks. One on each side. Run a crossover tube on the bottom of them with one petcock and one filler. So when people look at it they wonder how you fill the one tank. Just a thought... Oh, and a girder front end would be sick.

I've been looking at that Harbor Freight roller too. Seems like it has served you pretty well.

Your welds look pretty good, but I must admit having the fine control of the foot pedal is nice.

Nice work, your build threads are nicely done.

I'm looking forward to seeing the tank! I think it would be perfect if you ran exposed backbone type tanks. One on each side. Run a crossover tube on the bottom of them with one petcock and one filler. So when people look at it they wonder how you fill the one tank. Just a thought... Oh, and a girder front end would be sick.

I've been looking at that Harbor Freight roller too. Seems like it has served you pretty well.

Your welds look pretty good, but I must admit having the fine control of the foot pedal is nice.

Nice work, your build threads are nicely done.

ha ha ha... yeah i was already thinking of building a split tank, and a girder from scratch. Check out my videos i think i used the roller in the last vid.
Stay tuned to see how it goes :thumbsup:

Went over to my friend and ex employer's Fab shop (Ryals Fabrication) and got the Miller machine on this thing.
Here are some axle plate attachment pics for Travis :thumbsup:
Still need to do some clean up and make some caps but should do the trick...

welder.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Very nice! Thanks for the pics and video!

I recognized a few things from that video... I have that same tube roller, vise you have on your mill, and Jet bandsaw! :)

Oh, and I have several sets of those same axle plates laying around :wink2:

So anybody got any tire ideas for this thing?
I'm gonna go with 19" front and rear because i have a brand new set of 19" mags here.
But i'd like a tire with more sidewall height than a stock 100/90-19, but i want to avoid getting any super wide tires. And i want the same on front and back.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

I say think outside the box and rock the Pirelli MT 60 RS Corsa.

You can get a 90/90-19

Thanks for the idea, Actually i saw a couple of those at a shop yesterday, but i'm looking for taller tires than a 100/90 R19 these seem to low-profile for what i'm going for.

Anybody know anything taller that would work on front and rear? like a 110/90 or a 120/90???
Looking but not finding much.

I have 110/80-19 frt and rear on my trqacker build

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9843

thanks for the reply, actually that would be smaller (not tall enough) for what i'm looking for.
I'm trying to find around a 27" tall tire. The 100/90 -19 is about 26.09" tall and isn't bad, but looking for something a bit taller, but not super wide. The 110/80 is about 25.93" tall.
It seems the only 27" or taller tires are only available in dirt tires for a 19" rim...
am i missing something? I hate picking tires:doh:

Last edited:
Those wheels look a bit familiar. I used a bridgeport, but here's another example for others wanting to see speed holed wheels:

398933487.jpg

Keep the updates coming!

Here is a new shot of where I am with the frame. Still lots to do, but looking like something anyway!
Took the countersink bit to the wheels today to show back the aluminum in the speed holes. Looks pretty slick. Still not sure if i'm done with the wheels though... time will tell i guess...

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

Thanks for the link to this thread! I enjoy watching you work. What amazes me is the fact that you do ALL your own work. I turned wrenches for over 40 years so the mechanical work is no problem but I never warmed up to fab work. It looks like fun-for you-not for me. The vids are a nice touch, and very well done. Keep it up, I'm watching you!:D

I have never noticed all the raised text down the centred of the mag spokes before. Dunno if it cos mine are so dirty and yours shiney in new powdercoat. Or mine just don't have it.

Back